Computer to Studio Monitors -- A/C Hum Problem...

Username: Chard

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I need some help with a very audible hum from my studio monitor speakers...here are the details:

I just moved into a 50 year old house with a few ungrounded circuits. Of course, the one I use for my Computer/audio server system is one of these ungrounded circuits. I have everything plugged into a Belkin 1500 UPS, and I have jumped the neutral to ground on the receptacle. Everything works fine except that I am getting a very audible hum from my powered studio monitor speakers (Event 20/20p). They are connected to the computer via the line out/headphone 1/8 inch jack on my Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum EX card. The hum gets noticably louder when the computer boots up, but its always there to some extent....I am really frustrated at this point, and need some advice on how to attack this problem...

Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6721
Go here. Hopefully it helps with your situation. Let me know what you did to solve the noise porblems.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/home_solving.html

Username: Chard

Post Number: 3
Berny,

Thanks for the info. I did yet some more digging and went to Best Buy to buy a ground loop isolator. This did the trick! There is still a small amount of noise if you put your ear up to each speaker, but it is negligible and below my 'noise level' (pun intended). I installed the GLI in-line between the headphone/lineout jack on the soundcard and the inputs on the back of the powered monitor. The inputs of the GLI are connected to the outputs of the soundcard, and the outputs of the GLI connect directly to the RCA jacks on the speaker. Hope this helps anyone else who is having similar problems.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6734
Glad it worked out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts