Intel Pentium 4 vs. Intel M

David Jones, Jr
Unregistered guest
Hello:

Does anyone have any ideas whether there will be any difference in the speed when you work with large database analysis between Intel Pentium 4 2.8 gHz (desktop) compared to Intel M 1.86 GHz (laptop)

Thank you!

Anonymous

I'm wondering the same thing. I guess they would be similar in speed? (Even though there's a differnce in the GHz). Wonder if someone with the answer will post a reply to your question. It's been over 3 weeks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1844
Yeah, they're the same, actually. A 1.7ghz M is equivalent to a 3.0ghz P4.

Others might say no-they've never had a laptop with a 1.7ghz M, I guarantee that.

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 325
The desktop will still be faster. Even thought the hardware equals out, unless you are plugged in to a wall outlet with the laptop, the battery wont power the laptop to its full potential. But on the same token, if the desktop has a crappy psu, it will equal out. So in my view, both are within very small margins of each other. Personally id stick with a laptop than a crappy desktop,kuz after all its a laptop. Its mobile, its fast, and o man, its a lot easier relocate if you have to. :-) laptops rule, just make sure you look at the whole picture. Make sure the hardware is similar in performance. If you have outdated ram etc in the laptop but new ram in the desktop, the desktop might geigh a lil advantage etc etc. Just compare all the pros and cons and hardware and you shall be fine. After all my 2.2 ghz 3500+ amd is faster than a 3.5 ghz intel. Speeds are misleading, thats why you should compare everything

Unregistered guest
Hey, I have a laptop with a 1.73 GHz Pentium M processor. Does anyone know if a component would work on it if the minimum system requirement was a Pentium 4 processor?

thanx!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2247
Tim, yeah, doubtless. what kills me is desktops still rule in HDD's: faster and hold more.

and pentium dude: yes.

pentium civil war
Unregistered guest
Do they have desktops with pentium M's?

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 86
pentium civil war said:Do they have desktops with pentium M's?

No, what is the point? A portable CPU in a desktop that is non-portable. Stupid. But, having said that, Asus does have a converter that will convert Pentium-M socket 479 to Pentium 4 socket 478, so you can use them with desktop motherboards. Works perfectly in the Asus P4P800E deluxe.

Unregistered guest
there are more pentium m desktops now appearing, primarily for use as a media centre system, using a suitable motherboard (e.g. Aopen I915). The advantages of having a mobile chip in a desktop are that a) it is quieter b) it is easier to cool c) you get equivalent desktop performance if you choose carefully and d) they use one third of the power of a pentium 4. The downside is the cost, as the M chips are considerably more expensive.

Automation Engineer
Unregistered guest
so what about pentim M 760 2.00 Ghz?? i have made some tests on it and it seems to equalent of pentium 4 3.2 or 3.4 GHz and Amd 3200+ or 3500+. Can i trust these benchmark results??

Username: Amcyk

Post Number: 1
i dont trust these results! your words are without merit..

Username: Mohan

Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu India

Post Number: 8
Desktop will be better equiped to work on databases. See Laptop is a convenience machine and Desktop is a powerful machine. I don't know really what other components are there in your desktop. It also depends upon your memory, hard disk, application, Operating system, etc., Desktops are usually faster.

Gold Member
Username: Evadelparaiso

Puerto Rico

Post Number: 2051
Yes you can trust in these benchmark. The numeration in process intel laptop/desktop do not reflect the comparition, go to intel.com and check de comparition charts.

Silver Member
Username: Johnner

Miami, Florida

Post Number: 976
I had a chance to test an Intel M and even with only 400 MHz Front Side Bus it was pretty fast and stable.

Username: Emeraldskylark

Post Number: 2
I have a similar situation with a Celeron D 3.2 (LGA775) system and a P4 2.8 CPU that I could use. After looking up the benchmarks, I found that it was a flip flop as to which one out performed the other. It boiled down to only gaining performance when processing certain things. Therefor it was not even worth considering the CPU switch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us