Upgrading processors

Bronze Member
Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 22
I have a question for those who are more in the know than I am. My current processor is a celeron 2.4Ghz, I am wanting to switch to a 2.4 Pentium 4 with a 533Mhz bus and 1MB cache. Would i need to switch the cooling fan or just replace the processor?

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 29
You get a cooling fan and heatsink (called a HSF) with the processor. So yes, you would.

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 33
First off the socket has the be the same. if not it wont fit. Second it has to be compatible with your comp. Third yes replace the fan. DOnt be a cheap #4s. Get a new fan, keep it cool, make it last. End of story.

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 251
i don't think they are the same socket. Infact im like 99.9 percent sure its not.

Bronze Member
Username: Zulkir

U.S.A.

Post Number: 16
celeron and pents are diff socket. you cant upgrade unless the socket of the processer is compatable with the motherboard.

POOpy
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have a 2.0ghz xeon processor in my computer now and i want to replace it with a 3.0ghz or 3.2ghz xeon. Is this possible? what would i have to do to do it?

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 69
Overclock it

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 32
Don't listen to the fools, Celeron and Pentium 4 are the same socket (478) but there are two types of processors Celeron and Celeron D and the Pentiums have different names as well Prescott is one I can't remember the other off hand. On your motherboard between the PCI slots should be the model number of the board, use it to find out which CPU's are compatible with your board. If your Mobo is an Asus, go there and look for the model no.. Or if the board is still for sale you can go to an online dealer and look up its specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us