TV out on Laptop

Username: Gkc135

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I have a Presario Laptop and am having a problem with the TV-out. The problem is that it will only display black and white. I have played with every setting I can find trying to rectify this but alas it has been in vain.

Am connecting from the s-video out through a converter cable to rca into the tv.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi, it seems a lot of people are having this black and white problem, and it has happened to me on a few occasions. The first time it was happening, I tried everything and then i was wiggling the cable and voila! A slightly loose connection was responsible and it was fine after that. The next time I had the same problem (different computer, different TV) I fixed it by going into display settings and going through all of the regional settings eg, PAL, NTSC etc. and about the 10th try worked, even though it seemed *completely* unrelated to any of my gear (ie. it said a completely different country AND type) but it worked.

Hope that helps.

I do have a question though - I would like to connect another *computer monitor* from my Laptop S-Video out. Is it possible? Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of cable (and where to find) should I get?

cordevil95
Unregistered guest
I have this cable for my s-video out to my TV and it works great.
http://www.svideo.com/svideorca.html

I don't think you can connect another monitor using your s-video jack. There should be an actuall monitor connection on the back of your laptop though.

Username: Jdgrove81

I'm experiencing the same problems with my laptop; it's a UK acer notebook which I'm trying to connect to a US TV which doesn't have a SCART socket.

I'm connecting from an S-video socket [on the laptop] into a Video input socket [on the TV] an have gone through the Control Panel settings to activate the TV. Thus far the only picture I've managed to get is a flickering black and white picture, i.e. Not even a clear black and white but the screen scrolls and flicks about, alomst as if the channel isn't tuned properly.

I've tried fiddling with the connection and it doesn't seem to be a physical problem; the cable works fine connected in the same way to my DVD player. So the problem must be with my laptop.

Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum? I'm not really sure which settings in
Control Panel => Display => Advanced
to play with, as I don't want to lose all the defaults for my laptop.

One thing that could be the root cause is that it's a UK laptop and a US TV. SO there must be some sort of unusual compatibility issue i guess...PAL/NTSC etc. Whereabouts can I change this in Control Panel?

Thanks in advance; by the time I get this working I'll be a fricking expert in connecting laptops to tvs!

Jon

Unregistered guest
I have an acer aspire 1350 and have a similar problem only im getting a black screen with a flickering white line, have already updated the drivers for the VIA integrated card im using the same cable as cordevil95 mentioned tried this with two tvs any fixes available for this or is there something to adjust on the tv ?

Unregistered guest
Hi There! I have the same problem while connecting my Acer Travelmate 4100 laptop to my TV. Although I'm using a S-Video to Scart cable. I'm sending the signal out of my laptop trough a S-Video cable and then i have an adaptor that receives the s-video signal and sends the signal in a scart output that i connect to my tv in the "av->2" entry but it seems that it only display the image in black and white. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Tanx,

Cave.

Username: Jdgrove81

Post Number: 2
So I finally solved it; in Control Panel=>Display=>Settings=>Advanced=>Monitors
Once you click on the TV button which switches the picture to the TV, you can then click another part of the same panel. It's probably completely logical to some people, but I never thought of clicking it. Anyway, that opens up a whole new load of settings from which you can select NTSC or PAL. My laptop is a UK one and I was using an NTSC TV, hence the b&W problem.
Cave- let me know if you're still having problems and I'll see if I can help you.

Unregistered guest
Hi jon grove!

Yes I'm still having problems!!!!

My laptop has a 7 pin s-video output in wich i connected one end of a 4 pin s-video cable and the other end i connected to a scart adaptor. This scart adaptor as 4 entrys. One is a s-video entry, and the other 3 entrys are rcas (2 for left and right audio and one for video). As an output this adaptor has a scart entry. So I only connected the s-video from the pc to the s-video entry of the adaptor as an input. And connected the output of the adapator as a scart male directly to the scart female input of the TV (usually it's the "av->1" or "av->2" channels of the TV).

Here's an example of this kind of adpator:

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/366/0/

Since i don't have a s-video input on my TV, only 2 scarts inputs (and also compositive entry), i have to use some this kind of adaptor to change from s-video to scart.

The problem is that i can only see my pc in black & white in the TV. My television supports PAL B & G (stated by the TV Manual), and my display definitions of my ATI graphic card is set to that kind of display (it's set by country, in this case Portugal, which is PAL B, G or H).

Any ideas please?

Tanx!

Cave.

Unregistered guest
help please?

SuperCaveman
Unregistered guest
Thanx a lot for not helping me! I already solve my problem!

_runner_
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem but with s-video-svideo connection to the tv...Any ideas? For all the people who are using an s-video-scart i must warn you that "S-Video to SCART" adapters sold in Europe and Australia provide only with a black/white signal...i have read this in this page: http://www.videocapturecard.com/svideoscart.html

phonetic
Unregistered guest
There's a regional option in my BIOS. Press 'del' key on boot. I get colour alright, but it's a pretty crap picture :-(

_runner_
Unregistered guest
Well i solved the s-video to s-video color problem...it was all about PAL to NTSC...it`s strange but the european daewoo television dtz29U3 only accepts NTSC via AV...well i changed into NTSC and the color appeared(but the image hasn`t got real quality)!! I have a US notebook(with radeon 9600) and i thought the problem was the notebook but couldn't make much sence since you can configure the s-video out! Well unfortunately problems aren`t over...Can anbody help improving image quality??

Camp0s
Unregistered guest
Hy, i got the same problem: Hp nx9005 and B/W on the Tv.. i got a working solution: easy, cheap and you can do on your own, check here, everything explained [all free, off course]: http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm

theSnoMan
Unregistered guest
The reason you get blank and white picture through the SCART adapter is because not all SCART inputs have true s-video input. The original specifications for SCART did not include s-video input therefor to get a color picture you'll have to convert to composit input and connect that way. I had the same problem while trying to connect my laptop to a TV here in Romania and I was told s-video through a SCART would be no problem only to find out later the salesman was full of crap. The only way you can send s-video through a SCART connection properly is if the tv already has a standard s-video connection built into it, then it's very likely to have the SCART properly wired for s-video input. I know this seems a little confusing but I'm basically telling you to convert your s-video to composit (yellow RCA) and connect it to your SCART adapter and you'll have color. There is no other way thanks to these companies and their ignorance to not wire the SCART connector for s-video input. I hope this helps to shed some light on the subject. Thank God we don't use SCART in the US, what a pain.

theSnoMan
Unregistered guest
The reason you get a black and white picture through the SCART adapter is because not all SCART inputs have true s-video input. The original specifications for SCART did not include s-video input therefor to get a color picture you'll have to convert to composit input and connect that way. I had the same problem while trying to connect my laptop to a TV here in Romania and I was told s-video through a SCART would be no problem only to find out later the salesman was full of crap. The only way you can send s-video through a SCART connection properly is if the tv already has a standard s-video connection built into it, then it's very likely to have the SCART properly wired for s-video input. I know this seems a little confusing but I'm basically telling you to convert your s-video to composit (yellow RCA) and connect it to your SCART adapter and you'll have color. There is no other way thanks to these companies and their ignorance to not wire the SCART connector for s-video input. I hope this helps to shed some light on the subject.

P.S. s-video is just composite video split into 2 parts therefor you get the half that contains picture not color, hence black and white. DO NOT attempt to combine the signals back together with an RCA splitter/combiner, I found out the hard way that there is supposed to be a special resistor inline to prevent a small power surge from damaging your laptop. I replaced a motherboard do to this little spark.

Unregistered guest
Hi every1, hope some 1 can help me as every 1 seems to have problems of some sort.
i have a Toshiba satellite laptop with a TV out port (s-video) and a ferguson TV with s-video port on the side, when i connect them with the s-video lead i get a colour image but its very poor and grainie (like its snowing Very heavily).p.s im in the UK
plz plz plz help would b good cos iv had this problem for a year or 2 now.
Thank

Unregistered guest
p.p.s i allso have 3 other pc's in the house and 2 tv's, all with the s-video ports and all with the same grainie result when i connect them to the tv's.

Deano UK
Unregistered guest
Hi every 1
Just thought id let u all know its SORTED!
Believe it or not it was my ADSL Firewall Router that was interfiering with the s-video, If i unplug the ethernet lead from the pc the picture on the tv is fine :-)

Username: Josejose

Under Display -> Advance have only option for PAL system .Is there any way to change setting to NTSC system

random_dude
Unregistered guest
hi people,

this has been buggin me for a while as well, i think it might have been something to do with the ati catalyst control center i have installed. I went to check my pal/ntsc settings in the advanced menu. and it was set to uk pal. however i switched it to us ntsc and then back to uk and suddenly i had colour. drivers just needed a re jig

Dave MacDonald
Unregistered guest
Hi All,

I am not getting any picture on my TV when I try to connect my laptop via S-video. I just know enough to be dangerous, not actually fix things. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A30 laptop with 4 pin S-video out. The built in video is Trident CyberAladdin-T and the driver version is 6.14.1.10 (April 24 2003). I followed the instructions that I have trying to connect. Set 16 bit colour, 800X600 resolution on the second monitor and power off laptop. Connect the cable. Power up TV. Turn station to s-video. Power up Laptop.
I don't think that the laptop is finding the S-video connection. When I bring up display properties the <advanced> button gives me the Trident graphics window. When I choose information for the second monitor, it shows only <default_monitor> and no information about a TV. There are tabs for Television features and a Tab to select LCD/CRT or LCD/Television (along with other things like NTSC or PAL etc.) The button to select LCD/Television is greyed out (not selectable) which I think is the main problem. The question is why? Do I need to update the driver? Is the S-video connection not being detected when I power on the laptop? Am I way off base? I unplugged the s-video connection from my DVD player which I know is working so I have ruled out the television as the culprit. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Username: Rvinall

Post Number: 3
well I know it must seem that everyone here asks the same question: "I have (x laptop), I'm using (x adapter) to (x tv), what's the deal?" Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to be doing the same type of thing, even if there's not much chance of being answered, because I'm really desperate to get TV out from my laptop.

I have a Gateway M520CS, a decent new laptop I just got last january. Unfortunately, it has no s-video port, so I got an adapter to go from the 15-pin VGA port to a s-video cable to plug in to my TV. However, it didn't work, and I only get black and white fuzz and junk on the TV, I can't see any real picture. I got this adapter:
http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html?id=voPKXP83

Is there maybe settings I can change to get it to work? It obviously recognized something, because I got the black and white fuzz on the TV. Would maybe an adapter to go from the 15-pin to red yellow white A/V plugs work, and does such an adapter even exist? Maybe my comp has no TV out capability?; I don't know how to tell if it does or not. Or am I just screwed?

I'm really starting to suspect that I'm just screwed, and that there's probably no way at all to get TV out from this particular laptop. If anyone here can confirm that, please at least let me know that, so I can stop desperately searching for a solution all over the net.

rales
Unregistered guest
hey, im wondering if someone can help me. i have a toshiba tv and a advent 7026 laptop. i just got a s video cable and im trying to play movies through the tv but i cant get it too work. any ideas

Unregistered guest
Hi i have a similar problem i had a Nvidia FX5200 and that was connected to my tv via a svideo cable into a scart adapter (my tv had no svideo input) and that was in colour i recently got a ATI 9600 and now my TV is in B&W ????? i have tried all the different drivers DNA OMEGA etc . . . and all the settings for regions im im in the UK so i know i need PAL-L or UK set but its still B&W so i bought a composite cable and used the svideo to composite convertor hoping to resolve this but STILL im only getting B&W help please
email me a awnser please or post

bussola
Unregistered guest
Not to sound exactly like everyone else, but I am having issues. I have a Toshiba laptop with a four pin s-video output,to a four pin s-video, and simply cannot get any readings whatsoever. I think I am missing a step, but I am unsure exactly what that might be. Any help at all would be fantastic.

Username: Drbernie

Ok... another variation.
Laptop: Presario 2100 with s-vid out
TV: RCA with s-vid in

TV on, laptop on. press fnct key and F5. press this combination twice and whatever is on the laptop now is on the TV.... hurray
however: if I am viewing an AVI on my laptop (using windows media player) I can see the movie on my laptop monitor... but on the TV, I can see the outline of the media viewer and there is no avi playing on the media player on the TV...only black.
any suggestions about how to get the images from the media viewer to show up on my TV???
Thanks

Unregistered guest
i have acer travel mate 8000 with ati radeon 9700. trying to connect to my sony 29 inch tv but getting B&W picture. tried all regional settings to all resoulutions still getting the black and white picture strange is that i connect my sony dvd player to my sony tv it also shows b&W picture. this is my second cable first one was svideo to composite got the B&W picuture now svid to svid still black and white .. can any body help

Anonymous

Hi to everybody.
I have a compaq nc6120 notebook with s-video port(7 pins), I tryed to connect to Tv with an SCART adaptor but my laptop don't detect anything. I tryed to connect to a monitor with success but I don't know why don't work with TV.
Could anybody help me?
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Did someone read old post? this is a working solution (true):

Hy, i got the same problem: Hp nx9005 and B/W on the Tv.. i got a working solution: easy, cheap and you can do on your own, check here, everything explained [all free, off course]: http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm

Yoran
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I've got a Dell 8600 Laptop and was trying to bring my laptop image to my tv. After trying every possible configurationsetting, I still was left with a black & white representation on my television. Desperate as I was, brougth in a second laptop, but to my horror I found that this laptop also seemed unable to broadcast in color. Well, it just had to be the cable then. But replacing the cable didn't work either.
It turned out that the only thing I had to change was a simple option on my television. Turning the input into s-video instead of just "video" (this was on a THOMSON). My point is: stop trying to configure your laptop, just find a way to set your television to the signal that your laptop is sending, which in most cases will be s-video.

sheep
Unregistered guest
@ BAH
Are you running both tv and laptop monitor at the same time? This might be your problem, I encountered the same but I solved it by switching from laptop display to tv(that means that the laptop monitor switches itself off and you only watch you movie on tv). Usually there is some combination of shortcut buttons to do this (e.g. ALT+F5).

Concearning the rest of the discussion here, I have the same problem with an ATI Radeon 9200 and.. well all kinds of TVs lol.. Sony,Toshiba, Sanyo... Also changed from all PAL standards to all NTSC standards (although that doesn't really make sense as in Romania the standard is PAL), changed resolution, changed colour depth to 16bit. I don't use any SCART adapter, so that's not the reason for me almost pulling my hair off my head :D

sheep
Unregistered guest
@ BAH
Are you running both tv and laptop monitor at the same time? This might be your problem, I encountered the same but I solved it by switching from laptop display to tv(that means that the laptop monitor switches itself off and you only watch you movie on tv). Usually there is some combination of shortcut buttons to do this (e.g. ALT+F5). It seems that it is some sort of copyright protection implemented by Microsoft in their Media Player...

Concearning the rest of the discussion here, I have the same problem with an ATI Radeon 9200 and.. well all kinds of TVs lol.. Sony,Toshiba, Sanyo... Also changed from all PAL standards to all NTSC standards (although that doesn't really make sense as in Romania the standard is PAL), changed resolution, changed colour depth to 16bit. I don't use any SCART adapter, so that's not the reason for me almost pulling my hair off my head :D

camp0s
Unregistered guest
Hi, i got the same problem and i wrote a WORKING solution, it's free, it's easy, don't have to buy anything and you can do it by your own, read more here http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm there's nothing more to say; now updated with descriptions of the defect !

Hope you get colors !

Cheers,
Camp0s.

P.S. Let me know !

balootgfdgd
Unregistered guest
tried campos solution! it worked!!!!

thanks!

But I have another problem. I can see everything on the tv except for what's in the media-player. vlc etc

balootgfdgd
Unregistered guest
tried campos solution! it worked!!!!

thanks!

But I have another problem. I can see everything on the tv except for what's in the media-player. vlc etc

the B\W problem
Unregistered guest
hi everyone
My conclusion to the B\W and s-video problem is:
Using the s-video cable will result in a B\W picture, because the TV simply ignores the pin with the colour picture. This can be solved by following this guide: http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm

If you are using Nvidia software you can change the output to composite-video-out instead of s-video-out. In this way you are only sending a "one pin" signal witch is the one with colour. But this only works for Nvidia software, and i am using ATI on my laptop. ATI still havn't made this setting as far as i know.
Conclusion: if using ATI, the only way is the guide: http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm
If using Nvidia, you can change the signal to composite video out and then that should work out.
I know this is not i direct solution but it might clear things up a bit...

Frank_N
Unregistered guest
Camp0s' solution really does the trick. The one wire puts all the color back in place. Great!

Shufflebug
Unregistered guest
Camp0s' solution did the trick for me too. Many thanks !! It was done in about 15-30 minutes with the mentioned scart adapter he used.
But is it now stil possible to use the OUTPUT function of the adapter ??
regards
Shufflebug

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2431
The only problem I see is that not all TV's have the SCART type input?

Anonymous

HI GUYS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR I HAVE A TOSHIBA SATELLITE 3000 X4 LPTP (IT'S A BIT OLD) AND A SONY TELLY 29'' (STANDARDS ARE EUROPEAN) I M HAVING ALSO THE B/W PROBLEM WHILE TRYING TO CONNECT VIA SCART CAN ANYONE SUGGEST SOMETHING OR HAVE ANY IDEAS!!!!THANKS A LOT

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2453
http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm

Username: Scotty007

EASY FIX - Go to Electronics shop and buy S-Video TO Composite adapter. Forget about scart connections and use composite female sockets on tv (mine is av3). Perfect colour picture no messing and only £4.99 from any decent electronic/compuer stockist. (i did have to buy a video phono cable to complete the connecion from the adapter to tv)

toxicristi
Unregistered guest
BUT WHAT IF MY TV (SONY, DECEMBER 2005)IS S-VIDEO COMPATIBLE (IT HAS A S-VIDEO JACK ON THE SIDE) AND MY IMAGE FROM MY LAPTOP (FUJITSU AMILO D 2005 - ATI RADEON MOBILITY 9700) IS STILL BLACK AND WHITE!

Unregistered guest
hello,
please help with toshiba laptop.
the toshiba laptop A30-203 failed to start up. it will try to boot up with HD and cd light on for 8seconds then reverts back to boot up sequence. this will continue for ever. does anybody know what to look for or what part may have gone kaput. thanks,

colo-chi
Unregistered guest
i have a dv1439us with s-video out and 2 tv with rca in, my problem is b&w imagen, how can i fix it?

DanielC
Unregistered guest
Please could someone answer the question of how to fix fuzzy picture quality if it already works in colour? There seem to be plenty of solutions to switching to colour, but none for improving picture quality once it is already working in colour. Thanks

Username: Rayzinnz

After searching the internet for hours I got pissed of and cut my s-video cable in two. I found to get colour, rewire the cable. Use a 4pin svideo plug (even if the computer has a 7pin). There seems to be no standard. It seems to work with pins 1,3 & 4 connected without pin 3 (trial and error). See wikipedia for what the pins are for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
WAIT!!! I've just discovered, this only works if you attatch display '2' in display properties while pins 1 & 3 are connected, THEN after applying, connect wire 4. Very bizarre.
P.S. Although this is not the first time I've experienced this problem on many computers, this is the first time I've found a fix. This specific computer is a Compaq Presario R3000 Laptop with WXP Home and all the latest updates and drivers. Video is ATI Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP. Date today: 2 Oct 2006 04:33 NZ time.

Username: Madchef

hi i am to suffering with this problem i have an aspire1350 laptop with a km400/km400 graphic card when i conect to the tv via my s-video cable i get nothing no picture or anything. can someone please help me with this probblem as i am in desperat need of fixing this problem

Username: Tina2692

i have a dell xps 1530. and recently i've been hooking it up to my tv. via S-Vid. this has worked fabulously. except for the fact that the image on the tv was copied onto my computer. now my laptop displays all images 10X bigger. even though the S-vid cable is unplugged. HELP!

Username: Bruce_ica

Belfast, Uk Northern ire...

hi have a advent 8109 and when i wrie it up to the tv is only in b&w can anyone help me with this?

Username: Maximaminima

hi,

i have the same black and white picture problem. the picture is coming perfect, good quality but black and white.

I am using a S-Video cable with a Compaq M2021AP laptop. Have tried zillions of settings but not helping. Have tried changing to Ntsc and pal modes as well. Its not a loose connection problem, as i tried that as well....but seems like a setting or compatiability issue.

Please help if a particular setting needs to be taken care of, which i could have missed out on.

Thanks

David

Username: Maliusmaximus

This might sound like a strange observation, but the color s-video cables I have bought are always quite thick, whilst the b&w cables have been thin. There may not be any merit in this, but it's happened a few times and it's always been the case that the slightly more expensive thicker cables never give me any problems. Possibly a requirement relating to how many wires are required?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us