One sub two amps?

annanymoose
Unregistered guest
I am going to order a RE x x x 12 and am wanting to put 900-1000 RMS into it. I was thinking of getting two Memphis mc500ds and runnig them each into seperate voice coils provideing 500 RMS to each. Would there be any dissadvantages in doing this? I know that it is more expensive but i'm not to worried about that.

Silky Johnson
Unregistered guest
Well... I guess that more surface area would keep them both cooler compaired to one bigger amp.

annanymoose
Unregistered guest
Does anybody think that I would be better off by just getting 1 bigger amp rather than the 2 smaller ones? Besides the price differance?

annanymoose
Unregistered guest
Some one was telling me that the 2 amps together like that wouldnt actualy total 1000 watts but be down aroud 800. I dont know the reason for that so could someone explain?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 171
i wouldnt recommend that unless the amps have to ability to be "strapped".

if one amp puts out more power than the other, or the signals arent exactly the same you could kill your sub....also two 500w amps may draw more current than one 1000w.

annanymoose
Unregistered guest
what is strapped?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 173
its when you can connect two amps together so they act as one amp.

your best bet is to get one big amp though...amp strapping is usually used to get very high amounts of power.

Bronze Member
Username: Ginuwinepz

Post Number: 14
would it be possible to strap a 1000 watt sony amp and a kicker 200.2 amp to run one 15" kicker comp? if not, which amp would be better to run it....i own both of them and currently using the sony, but i want to get as much power as possible to my sub without blowing it or sounding like crap.

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 48
err....... no

You can only strap "identical" amps and only ones designed for it I believe.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Ginuwinepz

Post Number: 15
ok, just thought i would ask...do you have any suggestions on which one of those amps would push that sub better?

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 51
KICKER!!!!!!!!!!

lol, actually the Sony might be louder.

If the 15 is 4 ohm then your gonna get 200 real watts(rms) from the 200.2.

Whats the Sony's model # or whats it output into 4 ohms RMS?

Ya know you could always just hook the 200.2 up and listen.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us