HOw much power are my subs getting?

Username: Bena3t

Post Number: 1
hey guys - just a quick question..
i got a alpine M350 1 channel amp rated at 350 rms at 2 Ohm and 200 at 4 Ohm... i got 2 * 4 Ohm pioneer subs attached to it in parallel....
the question is :
a) is the amp running at 2 Ohm?
b) and if it is/isnt how much power are my subs receiving each?
are they receiving 350 Rms each if its running at 2 Ohm?
cheers
Ben

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Post Number: 15
a) yes
b) theoretically 175 watts ea but that 350 watt rating is at 14.4 volts.

If your alternator is providing less your amp is providing less as well. It might be interesting to see if you can notice a difference in your bass when the car is shut off(ie@12v).

-Fishy

Post Number: 2
how much different in sound quality will this be from running the two subs on my kicker kx600.4 bridged at 300rms * 2 does this mean im actually losing 125rms per speaker by using the alpine?
the speakers have a 350w nominal and 700 max power rating

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Post Number: 21
Yep, looks like your sacrificing 250 watts, but since I haven't listened to an Alpine or Kicker amp in years I can't really tell ya which will sound "better".

Hook em up and compare.

-Fishy

Post Number: 3
does the gain have anything to do with how much power the subs are receiving? because the alpine and the kicker amp both seem to power the subs pretty much the same at the levels ive set them...im a bit confused as to why a 125 w drop in power can sound possibly a little more crisp and punchy...
cheers

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1600
Gains are to match the levels of the amps to the head unit, it has nothing to do with the amount of power it can produce. Kicker amps tend to have less sensitive gains to accomodate a wider range of head units, of course Alpine amps are optimized mainly for Alpine head units, which are 4V usually. Kickers are sensitive to higher voltages. Meaning, the Kickers gain will more than likely need to be set higher for the same head unit. Set the gains properly for each, then test. You can't just set one amp to the same level (say half gain for each) and expect it to be right. The Kickers are better amps in my opinion (especially in your case) and also put out more power. They're rated at 13.8V as opposed to 14.4V, and are typically underrated more than the Alpines, with that 600.4 you'd get nearly twice the power to each sub, so you should definately notice a difference. The Kicker is also A/B while that Alpine is Class D, so the Kicker has a SQ advantage as well. Maybe the Alpine seems as loud because it has more distortion (distortion actually sounds louder, a clean 300W won't sound as loud as a distorted 300W because distortion is harsher on the ears). Your alternator may not be able to keep up with the more powerful Kicker amp as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us