Amp suggestions?..........please???

Bronze Member
Username: Angelofdeath132

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 13
hey everyone, looking for an amp to power a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2 12" 2-ohm dvc subs. 100-400w.rms 800w.peak, Freq. response:28-200Hz not sure what amp to go with, would like to go with a RF amp, any suggestions? thanks.

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 14
would the JL 1000/1 work? or possibly the RF T10001bd?

Anonymous

hey peps, I have 2 10" Kicker CompVR's DVC 4 ohm (03CVR104)and the Recommemded RMS Power is 300w and the Peak Power Handling is 600w http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC03CVR104 what amp should i get? I,m looking at the rockford fasgates http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995212&skuId=6249981&productCa tegoryId=cat03085&type=product or http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995330&skuId=6250433&productCa tegoryId=cat03085&type=product are any of these goodenough? If not anysuggestions? Thanks

Anonymous

In regards to my last post. Im kinda on a budget. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 745
anonymous,

jbl 600.1

Mark,

Port those bad boys run them at 2 ohms and go with a xtant A6001. That will give you 300 rms per sub and in a ported box those things will get loud.

Anonymous

well i kinda went out and bought an amp cause no one had answeard me i thought no one would even read this thread. I ended up getting the Rocksford Fasgate punch 2-channel amp the p3002.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995330&skuId=6250433&productCa tegoryId=cat03085&type=product will this work for me? Or should i return it? i dont know much about this but were going to run the speakers parallel (bridge the speakers togather) and make them 2ohms and bridge the amp and run it at 2ohms as well would that work?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 538
If i was you i would return the AMP, you will be lucky to power one sub with 300W RMS. I have worked with RF HE2, huge subs, they pack a punch- not kiding, but need power. They are 400RMS a piece so i would see if you could get a mono 1000W RMS RF Amp, that way you amp will have about 200W to kick around (le-way). I would go all RF. If you get a mono then you can run them in parallel. You will be satisfied w/ your purchase of the HE2, just as long as you get the right amp!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64572%26item%3D5718643034&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64572%26item%3D5719641212&rd=1

Username: Fishy

Post Number: 8
I'd take it back. The amp is stable into 2 ohms STEREO, not bridged. As it is you'd have to run it 2 x 4 ohms(or bridged into 8) which will only give you 150 watts total.

I'd recommend finding a mono block amp stable to 2 ohms or a 2 channel stable to 1 ohm(2 ohm bridged).

If you bought your amp and Best Buy and are stuck on RF just swap it out for this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995271&skuId=6250095&productCa tegoryId=cat03087&type=product

Same price and will give you 300 watts x 1 into a 2 ohm load. I'm not too familiar with the latest amplifiers, but you might be able to find somethin a lil better for that price.

Maybe someone here could make a suggestion.

-Fishy

Anonymous

this is the spec from my amp
300W RMS (continuous) x 1 @ 4 ohms, bridged
i was told that if i use it at 2 ohms, bridged id get 600w RMS from that amp thus giving each speaker 300W is that not true? oh and i got the 4 year service plan too just in case something goes wrong like fried amp or over heating etc.. should i still get the mono amp? sorry im so hard headed =).Or for $100 (with the 4 year service plan) more i can get this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995389&skuId=6250567&productCa tegoryId=cat03085&type=product
But I am on a budget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Nevermind, I got your Kickers mixed up with mark's RF's. Yeah your subs are potentially 2 ohms or 8 ohms ea so the two channel amp will be fine. With the voice coils wired in series and the subs in parallel your amp will see a 4 ohm load bridged. Thats 150 watts to each sub with the amp you have now. Is another 200 watts worth 100 bucks? I dunno. Pat seems to think you need 1000 watts, but he thought you had the HE's too.

Yeah I'd go ahead with the P5002. You'll probably be kickin yourself if you don't and its a lot cheaper than the P6002.

Anonymous

thanks guys =) i went ahead and got the P5002 and gonna install it on the 11th tomorrow =)
ill let u know how it went. thank you very much for your imput =)

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 15
thanks everyone for the help!! much appreciated!! finally decided that those are the subs i'm going with: (2)RF 12" 2 ohm dvc's with rms of 100-400. looking at the xtant A6001 amp, any other suggestions for an amp to pound those subs????

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 16
p.s. would like to stay with Rockford for an amp if i can, what amp would i use for those subs?

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 17
how about the RF Power T10001bd? its specs. are:

500w.rms x 1 at 4 ohms
750w. rms x 1 at 2 ohms
1000w. rms x 1 at 1 ohm
amp is 1 ohm stable

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 18
If i've got this right (and i prob. dont ;))one of the pair of subs i'm thinking about getting are 2ohm 100-400w. rms dvc's. does that mean i'm gonna have to find an amp that's stable to 1 ohm? or one thats stable to 4 ohms? (ex: i'll be lookin for an amp thats at least 800x1@1ohm) right? ahhhhhhhhhh..............help! it's so confusing to me!!!!!

i got it:!!! how about i give the list of the 3 different subs i've got it narrowed down to and everyone can feel free to help me with a matching amp for each sub? (each kind of sub will be in pairs)

1.Rockford Fosgate HE2 12" 2ohm DVC 100-400rms.

2. rockford fosgate Punch Stage 2 12" 4ohm SVC 50-200w. RMS

3. Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" 2ohm DVC 100-500 RMS

would like to go with an RF amp if i could, but if you all know of anything better feel free to give me all the help u can!!!!!!!!! thank you!

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 19
anyone?? help?

Johnathan
Unregistered guest
sony 1600w p5

Username: Allpro

Dacula, Ga United States

Post Number: 2
Mark...I have been working with Rockford products since 1988 as well as many other lines. Before you go out and spend a bunch of money guessing...give me an email that I can reach you at. I can get most of the product lines on the market at unbelievable prices.

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 30
AllPro, first of all, thanks! here's my address: angelofdeath132@yahoo.com

Troy H.
Unregistered guest
aznsoccerstar11@yahoo.com id appreciate the same! thanks in advanced

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 31
pat lorenz: got a question........ the amps that you gave the links to on e-bay are 1000x1 @ 2 ohms,.
the subs i'm getting are 400rms. 2 ohm DVC's doesn't that mean that i'm gonna have to find an amp that is around 800 x 1 @ 1 ohm ? another question for anyone, the amp i'm lookin at is 1000x1 @ 1 ohm, the combined rms of the 2 subs is 800 will that amp be o.k?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
No.

If they are dual 2 ohm voice coils that means u can wire each as either a 1 ohm(voice coils in parallel) or a 4 ohm(voice coils in series) sub.

I'd recommend wiring the voice coils in series which will give you 2 4 ohm subs. Wiring these in parallel will give you a 2 ohm load which is perfect for a monoblock amp stable to 2 ohms.

As far as 1000 watts being to much, I've never had the luxury of too much power so i probably can't help you there. I do know that power ratings for subs are THERMAL ratings which means thats how much HEAT the coils can dissipate under normal circumstances w/o melt down. The maximun linear excursion for quality subs can be reached with less power however.

I don't understand why just about everyone here seem to recommend MORE power than a sub's thermal rating. Like I said I have no practical experience in the matter. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why run the risk of melting voice coils? Is a little bit of headroom that important? or are todays amps so underated that we need to compensate.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
That should be "overrated".

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 32
oh s**t, now i'm really lost, you lost me at the wiring them in series and parallel, i'm not smart when it comes to this stuff:-( can you by chance simplify it for me anyone? like step by step wiring instructions? ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
If you've got dual 2 ohm voice coils you can wire the coils in parallel to give you the equivalent of a 1 ohm sub. Parallel wired voice coils mean that you connect the positive of one coil to the positve of the other and the negative of one to the negative of the other. To give you a "4 ohm" sub(what I recommend) wire the coils in series. To do that just connect the negative of one coil to the positive of the other. That will leave you with the "open" positive end of one coil as the positive terminal on your speaker and the "open" negative end of the other coil as the negative terminal of you speaker.

Now once you've done this you have two "4 ohm" subs. Wiring these two in parallel to your amp will give you a 2 ohm load. To do this you just take the positive output off your amp and connect it to the positive "ends" on both subs(one wire or two, doesn't matter), then connect the negative lead from your amp to both of the negative "ends" on your subs and you're golden.

If all is still Greek go here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/imped.html

Goto the caption that says "2 DVC drivers with the Voice Coils in Series/Parallel" (2nd one from top). Thats what it should look like.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 33
ok, here goes, you know the subs, just gimme some ideas for amps that would work,and how to wire the amp and subs. thanks all! how about the RF 1001bd?
1000x1 @ 2 ohms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
oops, wrong link.

GO HERE: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

and its the THIRD caption from the top, not the second.

sry

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 34
thanks fishy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 35
you mean the one that shows the diagram of:
"2 DVC drivers with voice coils in series/parallel"? so, in that case, an amp that was 1000x1 @ 2 ohms would work!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Aside from JL Audio amps I don't really know whats good these days. I'm a car audio dinosaur. In my era 1000 watt amps would be over 3 feet long and cost more than most've my buddies' cars.

I like the JL Audio "slash" series amps. They're real easy to match up to different speaker impedances and they have a one band parametric eq built in. I heard the 500/1 on a single Orion HCCA 12(i think thats what it was) and it was sick. The 1000/1 is pretty expensive and pretty big(too big for my installation) but the 500/1 is reasonably sized and is a bit underated from what I hear. It actually puts out close to 600 watts at 2 ohms I beleive so it might be good enough for your situation. I know nothin about RF's present stuff so i can't help ya there.

good luck man

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
If your woofers are dual 2 ohm voice coils then any monoblock amp stable to 2 ohms will match up impedance-wise.

Lol, guess ya gotta have your 1 kw, 1 hp+ amp!

Go for it. Just remember its possible to melt them subs if you play em a good while at or above their 400 watt thermal rating.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 36
thanks again!! think you've finally got me on my way!!

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 39
fishy, thanks again for all the help!! tell me if i finally got this right. lookin for an amp that's about 600 or so x 1 @ 2 ohms?

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 40
2 more questions: sealed or ported? and how big of a box?

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 65
Umm I'm probably the wrong person to ask that, but I've always liked ported boxes(just gotta build em right) and 800w x 1 would work. I can tell ya whether an amp will match up impedance wise but like I said before I'm not really up on today's stuff. You'd be better served gettin a brand recommendation from Jonathan or one of the other guys. For the money they seem to like the discontinued JBL BP series like this one

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=BP600.1&ser=POS&cat=AMP

Gonna haveta find that on ebay tho.

What box does RF recommend for those subs?

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 66
Actually that RF T10001bd you mentioned looks pretty good spec wise.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14333

750 watts at 2 ohms
1000 watts at 1 ohm

Thats the right power at 2 ohms and since its stable to 1 ohm you'll get a bit of headroom which will allow you amp to handle higher instantaneous power demands a lot better with a better damping factor.

Thing will match up brandwise with your subs and looks pretty too.

Requires a bit more coin than the JBL however.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 41
ahh, thanks again for everything!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us