Will this match up well?

Anonymous

The whole concept of a certain amount of watts from an amp matching up to a speaker confuses me greatly, so I figured I'd come here to see if someone could explain to me if the purchase I made was a good one or not. If its not, I can still get full money back before they are installed.

First here's the subs I bought (before we go into the amplifier). Best I could find is here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069299397134&type=product
Its a couple of twelve inch subs with a 600 watt RMS (I don't understand if thats a combined total or for each)

And heres the amplifier I got, with a real good deal attached to it.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10061224&Cate goryDesc=Punch%20Amplifiers

I'm worried that the amp wouldn't be enough to power it, but the person at Best Buy said it would do just fine (plus, I'm not exactly the richest person in the world.)

Any help, explanations, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
Anon:
First I'll answer your questions.
The RMS rating is total, for both subs. 300W rms for each sub, Total of 600w. Don't pay attention to the MAX rating or "total power" rating.

The amp, that is the MINIMUM that should be used. Actually you are underpowering them by 100w each!

Now the cold hard truth. Those sub and that enclosure really do suck. Not trying to be mean, and I understand you're on a budget, we've all been there. My strongest suggestion is to save your money and stay away from Best Buy especialy, and also Circuit City. Rockford Fosgate amps are pretty good, but anything else Best Buy carries as far as car audio sucks. Save up about $500 and we on here can suggest a system that will blow that junk out of the water.
This is an expensive hobby, but you'll end up spending more in the long run if you get crap now....just trying to look out for you man.

Anonymous

Okay, assuming I can get together that 500$, what would you suggest instead?

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
Well, those subs are still being underpowered....
How much $$$ do you have to spend?

Anonymous

500-600 I s'pose. I can take back the subs and/or the amp before tommorrow.

Can't say I could really install anything myself though, I'm not mechanically inclined.

Anonymous

I was searching around and found this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1072286177806&type=product
and thought it might be more suitable, but I'm still not sure.

I looked around the Rockford Fosgate site and was kinda surprised that they didn't have anything more powerful than what they've got. They did have a 200 watt two channel amp or two though.

I was really surprised at the watts that some of those amps had going to one channel, makes me wonder if one sub would have been better than two.

Also, would it be possible to trick a 4 ohm sub(s) like this one to 2 ohms?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 734
This is what I would do if you dont wanna speond alot of money but get decent sound.

xtant A3001T-100.00 shipped on ebay
Z series xtant subs from ebay 10s for around 85.00 shipped for the pair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us