Need help with amplifier power

Username: Bryang

Post Number: 1
I recently installed my JL audio amplifier without the subwoofer and it was gorking fine. I tried adding the sub and it immediately started to overheat (theres a wiring issue there). I took out the sub and it worked fine again. I rewired the sub and tried again. This time the amp would not completely come on. I took out the sub once more and tried running it again. Now the amp comes on but with very little power (not enough to put music through the speakers but at least the power light does come on). Did I fry my amp now??!!

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 717
What sub were you trying to hook up to your amp. Sounds like you were running it at too low of an ohm load for the amp.

Post Number: 2
The amp is a JL e6450 and the sub is a JL 10w3v2. The source unit (if needed) is a Rockford Fosgate RFX 9220G.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 729
dvc 2-4-6 ohm.

Post Number: 3
DVC - 2 ohm. Clarification: The amp power is now barely on even without adding the sub.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 731
Sounds like something is wrong with it. Take it to a shop who can bench test it and let you know whats wrong with it.

Post Number: 4
For anyone else that might have the same problem in the future... it maybe as easy a problem to fix as mine!! I went back and checked all my connections and turns out that the ground had come a little loose. I resecured the connection and the amp clicked right back to life.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us