Need sage advice on fuses and distribution blocks

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 12
I'm ready to take the plunge and have a complete car stereo install done. I have the head unit, EQ, speakers, amps, subs and cabling, but I need a distribution block.

My amps are: 80w x 4; 150w x 2; 50w x 2. Even with amps operating at an impossible 100% efficiency, that totals 720 watts, so I'm figuring a 4 gauge power cable from the battery to the distribution block in the trunk. Then 8 gauge from the block to the amps.

The 4 gauge power cable I have already has a fuse holder -- how big a fuse should I put in there?

And secondly, any recommendations on distribution blocks? Lightning Audio, StreetWires and Monster Cable brands seem pretty common. Any recommendations on these or other brands? Since I'm fusing the cable from the battery, is it OK to get a non-fused distribution block?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 62
Take the fuses on your amps and add them up. Take that total and get a fuse the same as or a hair bigger. As for the maker of the distrabution block there isn't to much of a difrence. The biggest diffrence is the looks, performance wise you won't notice a diffrence. I do perfer to use fused, but it isn't a must.

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 18
Thanks. I will do just that. I'm having a professional installer do the whole thing, but I want to buy everything myself first, so I don't have to pay "store prices."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us