What does a capacitor do?

Bronze Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 27
I think I need to get a capacitor for my setup (2 VMAX's and a Hifonics Nemesis 750D). I dont know too much about powering my amp but I do know that my car battery probably wont do it by itself, so if you could let me know what I need thatd be awesome

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 664
Capacitors are usually a waste of time. It has been known to actually hurt your cause rather then help it. Basically what a cap does it stores energy and releases it when your battery and alternator can provide enough power. Your best bet would be a high output alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 485
Basically what davids2004 said, but why you would want energy stored? You want that extra energy stored because when the subs hit, in some cases (depending on song) the subs will hit real hard, then back off, then hard again- so on and so forth (rap music). So a cap will allow the system to take that energy with out 'punshment' to the battery. Because when a song hits like that the energy just gets sucked out of the battery at a high level, then again and again (as the song progresses. Then the Altenator cant keep up with the batterys fast discharge and need of power, and like wise the battery cant keep up with the cap and amps need. So the system dies. The thing is about caps. If you dont have a good (powerful) alternator and mabey a tuff battery (optima) then a cap will just suck the juice out of everything- making the situation even worse. Because now you got more system drain because the cap needs a minute or two to charge, everytime the car is started. So now your car has one more thing to power. A cap is probably the VERY last thing you would put into any system.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4467
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us