SMOKE!!!

Username: Dvs1

IL

Post Number: 1
Hey guys....here's a strange one...
Brand new Hifonics Brutus BX500D,
connected to 2 12's running in a 1ohm config,
gain turn 3/4 of the way up....
All lights on amp work, no protection light, not warm at all....Properly fused and grounded (2 gauge power,6 gauge ground) 2 other amps running from distribution block.
What Is the Problem then???
When I start the vehicle, I get a large puff of smoke and a burning smell from the Hifonics!!
smoke and smell eventually dissapate, and amp plays and drive subs fine!! WTF???!!!
Any one experience this anomaly?? or any suggestions?? ( I know the obvious answer is to return it) Thanks in advance

D

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 89
Your ground should be 2 gauge also.....I believe.

lmao
Unregistered guest
Dude try using the same size wire for power AND ground.

IL

Post Number: 2
Guys.....before we simplify the stated issue... I am not inclined to believe that the issue is the ground....(Although I did move up to 2 gauge on the ground, this afternoon)...not to sound like some Hoity Toity D**K Head, that wont listen to advice that I asked for...but this issue is truly a STRANGE one.....I am not a NooB...I have installed many many systems, as well as being a former IASCA competitor....Trust me guys...I wish it were that simple....and most likely the amp will be returned...but its such an unorthodox occurence, I was looking for possible insight to get to the bottom of it....

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 429
Well to be honest. You must not be to good at this stuff because you should have knew before starting the install that you would need the same size ground as the power wire. With that out of the way. Hifonics amps are not that great IMO. I have installed a few of those and I just don't like their quality. I would return the amp. Good Luck

Username: Cruxis

PA USA

Post Number: 6
If the smoke went away and never showed back up, it might not have been part of your amp. Something might have been inside of the amp and smoked out when electricity/heat hit it.

You should probably replace it anyway.

IL

Post Number: 3
Oh god....I hate pissing contest!....lets TRY NOT TO MAKE THIS ONE!
In response to JayJ....the arrangement was temporary....and again I dont believe this is a grounding issue.(as a side note the same size ground wire is protocol, proper, and recommended, NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!! not only do they sell amp kits with different size ground vs power wire, I have seen MANY MANY vehicles with the difference in place and NARY a problem!!) NOW with that out of the way, thank you for your input JAYJ...

Tanner thanks, that was my first thought...something fell in there and "burned" away....
but perhaps I should have mentioned that it is not a consistant thing that happens(when I start the vehicle).....it has taken a "break", and then happened again! ODD, ODD, ODD!!!

Yup.....its going back!

D

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 297
The Hifonics, is it a new amp?

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 298
It's new, sorry! Could that just be a varnish in exccess burning up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us