Amp help (glass, johnathan, anyone smart=)

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 67
I have been having problems with hooking up my two amps. I have a kicker 550.2 for subs and a kicker 120.2 for two 6.5"s. Both of the amps have power going to them, and both of them have green lights that turn on as opposed to the protection light.

My 550.2 sub amp is powering my sub fine, but when I hook up my two speakers to the 120.2 amp, all I hear is bass, and only from one speaker. I have the RCA cables going from HU to 550.2, then 550.2 to 120.2. I switched the output RCA on the 550.2 from left to right. Instead of the bass going to the left speaker it switched to the right. Then I switched the RCA cables from left to right on the input of the 120.2, and the sound went back to the left speaker, still only bass.

Does anybody know what the problem is??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Oh it might help if I add that my 550.2 to the subs has the amps xover set on lopass 90hz, dunno if that could transfer over to the other amp, I didn't try cutting the xover off and seeing if the 6.5" gets full range.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 636
Make sure that on your 550.2 that you dont have a crossover set to low pass for the output rcas. Some amps will have a seperate crossover for the output rcas as well as a crossover for the amp itself. Also check the crossover on your small amp and make sure its on HI PASS. Also it could be if your headunit has a subwoofer output it could be causing this but check the crossovers first.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
There is no seperate crossover, and I have Hi pass on 120.2 and low pass on the 550.2. I don't exactly know what you mean about the HU thing, but if I hook my speakers back up to the HU they work fine.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 637
Does your headunit have a subwoofer output set of rcas.

Anonymous

They are refering to the pre-outs on the HU. A lot of HUs have a set that are specifically for subwoofers.
If your 120.2's rca's are plugged into those outs you maybe feeding only low frequencies to that amp.

Try plugging in the 120.2 rcas to a different set of outputs on the HU and see if that helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Ahh yeah my HU does have two sets of preouts, didn't know what the other was for. I thought I could just run the RCA from the sub amp to my 120 amp. I will try plugging the RCA from the 120 to the HU, thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us