JL 12w7's

joe davola
Unregistered guest
I know that they are one of the cleanest and hardest hitting subs on the market and i am looking into getting one but I have heard many testamonies that they dont last vary long and they will blow if you put more than 1000 watts RMS into them. I was wondering if this rummor was true or if it is a lie fabricated by people that are jelous becouse they cannot afford them.

joe davola
Unregistered guest
oops, i ment 13w7's.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 43
Any sub will blow if you abuse it, or under power it. In my opinion jl is one of the best designed, and built subs out there. So get you one and tell all your friends to take a listen befor they run their mouth.

joe davola
Unregistered guest
What is that friend link all about? And I didnt say that my friends ran their mouth about them.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4404
the 13W7 will last for a long time if it's treated well.
installed by an authorized dealer, it has a 3 year warranty.

-use a properly made box for that sub. your average pre-fab box won't work as it lacks proper internal cross-bracing.
-use a good, clean amplifier that is properly adjusted to avoid distortion, with crossover, slope, and gain set the way they should be.
The JL 1000/1 is a good match to that sub. Any more power than that and you gain little to nothing, and thermally damage the coils on the sub.
-have a car with an electrical system that can handle the current this amplifier will draw. that means a high output alternator, proper wire size from alt to battery to amps, etc.

if you skimp on any of these factors you'll cause distortion and damage to any speaker.

joe davola
Unregistered guest
Well My setup would be the 13w7 and i will get the local JL dealer to custom make a sealed box for it. I will power it with the Memphis MC1500D and will wire the voice coils in seriese so that will be a 3 ohm load producing approx 1000 Watts RMS. and i will cap it off with a 5 frad Lanzar digital capasitor and eventualy upgrade the alternator. dose that sound like an acceptable system?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4426
yes but for the fact that a capacitor won't replace the need for the alternator. ideally, you'll want both. they serve completely different purposes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us