Orion Amps

Username: Carlb

Post Number: 5
How good are they, compared to JL Audio? Note for subwoofers, that I would be running the JL at a higher load, and the Orion at 1 ohm load. For Components, it would be the same load. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 550
The thing with jl is you get the same power from 1.5-4 ohms so you get no increase or decrease in power from 1.5-4 ohms. Ive never had orion before but Ive had JL before and they are very good amps.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1200
Not quite JL quality. They used to be, Orion used to hand build their equipment before they were bought out by Directed, now they are in the mid-high class, but not quite top notch like they used to be. You're better off running an amp at a higher load rather than a 1 ohm load, you get better headroom and SQ. JL amps are fantastic.

Post Number: 6
Okay, well, if I was to go with the Orion, I made a change, and it would be running a 4 ohm load (would buy a 2-chan and bridge it). I was wondering because their retail prices are higher than JL, but their discount prices are lower, was hoping that they were still as good as they used to be. They look a lot better now though IMO.

How do they stack up to other brands? I mean, 'mid-high' class is pretty vague. Say, are they better than Kicker, Alpine, JBL, or MTX? Can you give me a rough picture? Sorry for me being a pest, since its probably going to be JL at the end anyway :P

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1230
A bridged amp still "sees" a 2 ohm load since the transistors share polarity. I'd put the Orion equipment in the Kicker range, it still has quality, but it isn't really the best of anything anymore.

Post Number: 7
The other amp is only running down to 2 ohms, so bridging it doubles the load to 4ohm, right?

2 X 200 @ 4 Ohm
2 X 400 @ 2 Ohm
1 X 800 @ 4 Ohm (Bridged)

Post Number: 8
Oh yeah, and why is it that some of their amps don't double the power when 1/2 the resistance? Some examples:

2 X 150 @ 4 Ohm
2 X 200 @ 2 Ohm
1 X 400 @ 4 Ohm (Bridged)

600D
1 X 250 @ 4 Ohm
1 X 400 @ 2 Ohm
1 X 600 @ 1 Ohm

Is that a bad sign(for the amps themselves, and the whole line), or does is it not that important?

Username: Cdreece

Post Number: 2
Just got the Orion 4002 and 1200D they are both very nice amp very heavy also (which doesnt mean much) I think the 1200D does a great job pushing my subs it is running 2 Rockford Fosgate Power stage 1 dual 4 ohm voice coil subs at 1 ohm and does a pretty impressive job at it. the 4002 is running the mids and highs and it sounds good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us