Car Audio Setup and Battery Requirements

Osiris
Unregistered guest
I have an EB2 Ford Falcon which as far as I know has a stock 70a alternator and 12v battery in it. Im hoping to be able to run a 12v to 240vac (300w max capacity) power invertor from the battery to run my laptop (which uses only 150w, but I might like to run other devices, like a charger for my phone etc) in the car at the same time as having the audio system going.

At the moment my audio setup includes my head unit (4x60w RMS) hooked up to two 35w RMS 6x9"s on the back and two 30w RMS 6"s on the front, with a low-level output going to my 2x150w RMS amplifier which is bridged to 450w RMS that runs two 300w RMS 10" subs. (a link for the amplifier specs is here: http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0434&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=& form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCA TID=595 )

Is it possible to do this with my current audio setup and the alternator/battery I have? At the moment I've been able to run this setup with the car turned off for roughly an hour without the battery dying on me, but I would like to know if there is anything I could get that would let me run two batteries to the alternator at the same time, and have one specifically for the engine/air con etc and the other for the audio system/power invertor..

Any help or suggestions on this is much appreciated, cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 451
With a starter (stock batt.) you will be able to run your audio setup for like an hour with out it dying. But you probably will be able to do this once or twice because the system takes alot away from the battey. I have seen and would suggest doing two batterys. Use Optima Yellow tops (deep cycles) and there is a specail cord that can allow you to switch from one battery to another. For example if you start the car you can use one to do that and then if you shut the engine off then you can switch to another battery for that. But the good thing about the cord configuration is that the alternator will recharge both or one. The best way is to have the alternator recharge one then have the charged battery recharge the other battery. Its alot simpler than it sounds. But the Optima Batterys are the best for systems. Look at theis site, they have very good prices. Its where i bought mine yellow top. www.tna-sports.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us