New to car audio, need help picking an amp

Username: Invain

Post Number: 1
I bought a Audiobahn AW1200Q 12" 700W RMS sub, and I need to know what kind of amp I should get. The sub has dual 4 ohm voice coils. Should I buy a 700 watt 2 channel amp that can bridge into 700 watts @ 4 ohms? Or should I get something different. I really need help.

Bronze Member
Username: Sixstar

Post Number: 19
ugh. Audiobahn subs are overrated a tonne. 700 watts into a ~$120 sub, its gonna kill it. How much are you planning on spending on an amp?

Post Number: 2
My budget really isn't that big. I only I don't want to spend over 150. So when you said "700 watts into a ~$120 sub, its gonna kill it.", do you meen I should run less into it, like maybe 500 watts?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 184
and since it is a dual 4ohm sub it will be wired down to a 2 ohm load. Get a mono amp. The wattage is up to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Sixstar

Post Number: 20
Well, the 700 watts is a thermal rating (I hope, unless they just pick numbers out of the air), so you should be okay with around 300-400 watts RMS. Burnt Voice Coils aren't covered under warrenty, and thats whats gonna happen if you put too much power into them.

You should be able to find an MTX Thunder311D or Alpine MRP-M350 for under 150 on EBay if you are lucky. Sony XM-DS1300P5 is a bit cheaper, but the MTX and Alpine are both very good amps.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 185
I got a MTX 311 D i could sell you for about 160 shipped. Ive only used it for about a month and a half. Will send all papers and box it came in. iamduff2442@hotmail.com if ur interested.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 103
audiobahn may sound like crap, but they can take their rated RMS...

they are just very inefficient!!!

a 1200 watt RMS audiobahn sub w/ a true 1200w's goin to it my only be as loud as a good sub w/ 500-600 watts!!!

but for that sub i'd try a jbl bp600.1 (bout $200), its a good amp...its prolly the cheapest amp you'll find that is still a good amp...and in case you deside to get better subs you will have a good amp!

Post Number: 3
So how many watt's do you recommend if I get a mono amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us