Need Help Selecting Amp/EQ

Username: Coronach

Post Number: 1
Hey guys.

My current system is a Nakamichi MB-75 HU running 4 5x7 Infinity Kappa speakers. I want to add a 8" sub, an amp and an EQ...the problem is that I have never done this before and I'm not sure where to start.

I have not yet bought my sub, so I'm flexible on that, but I've been leaning towards a Resonance Engineering RE8. The sub does need to be an 8", for sure, due to the size limitation of the space where I'm gonna stick it.

I would prefer that any amps/EQs/crossovers I use be hidden out of sight (this is gonna be a stealth, low profile install). Heat is not a big concern (I plan to stick them under a console, if possible, and I can wire up fans to keep air moving over them). I will have space under the console lid to mount the EQ so I can adjust the controls...though a remote would be nice, too.

I do not do loud. I don't bump. I just want a crisp, clean, rich vibrant sound...not earthquake audio. I have a bit of money to burn on this, too, so I don't plan to cheap out.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Mike

PS The Infinity Kappas are 4 ohm and the RE8 sub is dual 4 ohm.

Username: Sixstar

Post Number: 4
Okay, for the Kappas, I would get the JL 300/4. Thats 75 watts RMS into each of the four speakers. I believe those in question are up to 100 RMS, correct?

You might want to switch subs though. The RE8 is a very good sub, but having just one, it might be hard to find an amp that runs that little power into 2 ohms (I believe it is 150 RMS). You can get a two channel amp and run only 1 channel, but thats a waste.

You can't bridge channels either, because that would make them be stable at 4 ohms.
Maybe a switch to a JL 8W7 might be in store, and run a JL 250/1 to it.

As for an equilizer, I would go with a Pioneer. Just search for them, and buy the one that has the options you want.

Post Number: 2
1. The RE8 is RMS 175, Max 250, with a dual voice coil, 4 ohm. Elsewhere someone suggested that I run an Alpine MRD-M300 amp to it...which might be overkill.

The MRD-M300 is listed as 300W x 1 (2ohm 14.4V), with 600W max power.

2. Kappas are RMS 100, Peak 300

3. If I go with a seperate EQ, how important is it to have lots of control options on the amps? The same guy who suggested the MRD-M300 for the sub suggested an Alpine MRV-F340 as the amp for the Mids/tweets. My /guess/ is that if I'm going with a seperate EQ, I can not worry about adjustments on the amp itself, yeah?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm beginning to discover the depths of how much I don't know about this field. ;)

Mike

PS Cut-and-pasting from a website, the MRV-F340's stats are:

• Max Power (EIAJ) 140Wx2 (4ohm; Stereo) 400Wx1 (Bridged 4ohm;)
• 12V RMS Continuous Power 4ohm; Stereo (0.08% THD) 40Wx2 2ohm; Stereo (0.3% THD) 75x2 Bridged 4ohm; (0.3% THD) 150x1
•14.4V RMS Continuous Power 4ohm; Stereo (0.08% THD) 60Wx2 2ohm; Stereo (0.3% THD) 100x2 Bridged 4ohm; (0.3% THD) 200x1

Bronze Member
Username: Sixstar

Post Number: 12
The Alpine M300 is going to kill that sub, yes.

Unless you get 2 MRV-F340s, you aren't going to be putting enough power into the speakers. The MRV-F540 is more like it. That puts out 100x4 into 4 ohms. Its more expensive than the JL retail, but cheaper online by a few bucks. JL makes the better amp, but it won't give as much power.

You are right about the Equilizer and Amp. Just as giving a multi-channel amp to the speakers leaves the HU to do what it does best, the equilizer lets the amp do what it can do best-make power. There are certain things on the amps that you will need to control though, but they are basic and should be on every amp.

I found the amp solution for you though, I don't know why it slipped my mind. Get a 2 channel amp that gives out ~90 ohms to each channel. Then one channel would run each coil.

Examples:
Alpine MRV-T230, 80x2 @4 ohms, 160 RMS total
MTX Thunder342, 85x2 @4ohms, 170 RMS total

hope that helps.

Post Number: 3
You mean the MRV-T320, right? I could not find a -230...but the -320 has the specs you cited.

And yes, this helps a lot. Thanks!

I am, however, watching my budget creep ever upwards. ;)

Mike ;)

Post Number: 4
Ok.

Time to check my math. I did a little more digging and this is what I have come up with as a possible system. Please tell me if I am doing this correctly, and/or if I am doing something boneheaded that I don't need to do.

Subwoofer:

RE8 RMS 175 Max 250 Dual voice coil 4 ohm

Sub's Amp:

MTX Thunder251D Class D Amplifier

RMS
2 Ohm Load 160 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 80 w x 1

Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC
2 Ohm Load 250 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 125 w x 1

I figure that by running the dual coils in parallel it will be 2 ohm, right? If I'm misunderstanding, or if this is gonna fry my sub, please let me know.

Speakers:

4 Infinity Kappas: RMS 100 Max 300 @ 4 ohm

Amp: MTX Thunder1004 4-Channel Amplifier

2 Ohm Load 180 w x 4
4 Ohm Load 90 w x 4
Bridged 4 Ohm Load 360 w x 2
Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC
2 Ohm Load 250 w x 4
4 Ohm Load 125 w x 4

Thanks again!
Mike

« Previous Thread Next Thread »