Capacitor charging

Username: Skidog1156

Post Number: 1
I have a Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap. I lost my charging card that has the built in resistor. I was wondering if anyone knew a different method of charging a cap. I've heard of using a "test light" or using a resistor, but I don't know what they did with the test light or the size of the resistor. If anyone knows the test light method, or the size of resistor, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4323
you could build your own using some 1K ohm resistors but it'd be easier to just go to any audio store and have them charge it with a card they have handy.

Post Number: 2
I was trying to make this work and I figured out the "test light" method, it works like a charm.

Really easy, hook up the negative end of your power source to your cap. Then, using your test light, connect the positive end to the positive power source, and the negative end of the light to the positive side of the cap. Power will flow through the light (nice and slow (30 sec.)) until the cap is charged, and when it stops flowing, the light shuts off. So again, a summary, neg. battery to neg. cap, pos. battery to pos. light, neg light to pos. cap. When the light shuts off - its ready.

Here's a pic: http://www.geocities.com/skidog1156/cap.html

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4362
and if you don't know what you're doing, you could blow off your hand.

Post Number: 3
This is true. You'll either spot weld a wire to the terminal.. or if you really have NO idea what your doing, and cross the polarity.. that'll fire off like a 12 guage and smoke up the garage.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4387
yeah
reverse wire a 1fd cap inside a car some time
see if you can blow out any windows
hehe

note: that's sarcasm. don't really try this at home.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us