System problem..need expert advice

helpmeout
Unregistered guest
I have two amps in my truck and the amp that was hooked to the subs were blowing fuses like crazy. (I had two power cables, one to each amp. Only one fuse was blowing out of the power cables, the one hooked up the the subwoofer amp.) So I put some four gauge wire in it with a 100 amp fuse, rewired and replaced everything but the ground and speaker wires. But it still blew acsessorie fuses. So I made the power cable route straight to the battery instead of the accessory port, and it worked for about a week, and then all the sudden my amp started to turn off and on constantly. I checked out the amp, and it was blown. I replaced the amp and it worked. Now its blowing fuses again. So I hooked the amp to my friends system, to see if the amp was blown somehow and it blew the fuses(and theres nothing wrong with his system.) Before I get another amp, I want to find out whats wrong with this thing so I wont blow another one. Could the subs be shorting the wires out somehow if one of the subs is loose and blown? (i have two rockford fosgates that look a little old..came with the truck) Also, I never replaced the component speaker wires, but thats to my other amp. I have a crossover also, and I have two little boxes that are hooked to the component speakers (I don't know what you call them) if that helps. I would appreciate the help

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4331
you never EVER run an amplifier's power to the fuse box. it should always go directly to the battery.
ground should be to sanded bare metal chassis ground point within 24" of the amplifier location.

make sure teh fuse rating is corrent, and make sure one or more of your subs isn't blown, causing a short to the amp and damaging the amp in turn.

helpmeout
Unregistered guest
thanx alot...but what do you mean make sure the fuse rating is correct?....and if the ground is closer to the amp than 24", does it really matter? or am i mistaken?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us