New amp and sub, but no bump! Please help!

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 30
Hey everyone!

I just installed the following in my Lexus ES300:

- Alpine CDA-9835
- Alpine 10" Type R DVC (in parallel)
- Alpine MRD-M301 350W RMS @ 2ohm AccuClass D Amplifier

Now, this is all intalled, but I am nto getting any loud volume out of my sub :-( I am guessing it is due to my setup (I am inexperienced). My crappy old Sony XPlod with 1/3 the power was actually louder :-(

The MRD-M301 has digital settings, and they are not explained well in the manual. What should the Gain be? What should the Low Pass Filter be set at? What else would affect the volume?

It coudl also be that I don't knwo how to boost the bass on my head unit yet. When I turn the sub on and off from the head unit, it makes no difference to the bass in the car.

I am so confused! Can anyone please help? It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4313
gain should be set to match the head unit line voltage. 4V in yor case.
LPF should be set to 80Hz

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 32
Thanks Glass!

I thought the LPF was for the range of sound that is filtered? (i.e. any sounds over 80Hz are not played through the sub). Why does the line input voltage determine the LPF setting?

Also, how do I know where to set my Gain? I think I have the options of 0dB, 9dB, 12dB or something like that.

Is there any other settings that would affect the bass volume on the sub's amp? I am worried that it is my car that is causing it to be so quiet. It is like I don't even have a sub in the trunk. I figured it should be fairly loud considering how loud my XPlod was with only 120Watts. . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member
Username: Timmayyyy

Pasadena, CA U.S.

Post Number: 20
you are correct on the low pass filter. line input voltage and low pass filter settings are independently set.

0 dB, 9dB, and 12dB aren't your gain settings.. those sound either like your bass boost on the amp or your low pass crossover slope.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 33
Man, Alpine user manuals suck! They really seem to assume that, if you are setting this amp up, you are a professional installer or something. Can anyone help me with all of the following amplifier settings? I would appreciate it big time!

1.) Should I be on "Ch 1" or "Ch 1 + 2"?? What is the difference? I thought there was only one channel because it is a monoblock amp?!

2.) My deck has 4V preouts, so does that mean that I should adjust the input level to "1.0 - 8.0V" rather than "0.1 - 1.0V"?? It doesn't make sense to me that this is an option on the amp's digital display because there is a physical switch for input level on the amp already! So confusing!

3.) What should my Gain be (0, 6, or 9dB)?? I know you said these are not GAIN settings, but that is what it says in my manual . . . it could be a mistake (and it wouldn't be the first :-()

4.) Glass already said my LPF should be set to 80Hz, but why? How is this setting a function of the preout voltage?

5.) Should I have the subsonic filter turned on? If so, what freq should it be set to (range of 15Hz - 50Hz)? This means that no sounds under this freq is played, right?

6.) Should I have the Parametric Equalizer turned on? If so, what should the freq be (range of 30-160Hz)?? What should the Width be (0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)?? What does all this mean?

7.) What should my Phase be if my sub is directed toward the rear of the car (0deg, 180deg)??

8.) What is the turn-on delay? Should I haev it turned on? If so, what should it be set to (0.0-2.0sec)??

Man, this truly is one of the worst user manuals I have ever seen. It would be nice if they used a little more paper and actually explained what each of the settings are for :-(

Could nyone please help me out? I would really love to have the sub working for this long Canadian weekend! :-)

Please please please!

Thanks so much!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 35
Can anyone please help me out here? Please?? :-)

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 36
PLEASE!! Please someone help! I am lost here!

At least direct me to a website that explains this stuff . . . some of it is foreign to me :-(

PLEASE!! Thanks!
Bryan

Myes883
Unregistered guest
Bryan the people here aren't helpful. they seem to know everything but dont want to really help newbies. this forum sucks.

Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 8
hey Myes883
then leave they've helped me whwenever I've asked

paulito
Unregistered guest
bryan i know they are not easy,you just have to try diferent settings at 1/2 of the volume and pick the one tha soun better for you,trust me i do it all the time

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 37
I finally got some volume out of my sub . . . when I switched it to "Chan 1 and 2" then the sub came alive! I guess I was only using like half of my amp's power before :P

At least I got some sound now. No I need to tune the sub. If I have my sub facing the rear of the car, is this considered a 0deg or 180deg setup? Does anyone know? The stupid manual doesn't specify . . . ya, it's nice to know 180degrees, but 180degrees from what original position?!?! Ugh!! It's frustrating!

Thanks
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us