Trunk Rattles from Subwoofers

Unregistered guest
I have a 2004 Jetta and i have 2 12" subwoofers in my trunk with a 1400 watt amp. My trunk rattles really bad. You can hear it rattle inside the car and outside. I was wondering if there is anything i can put in my trunk to help it not to rattle because of the base. If you know of anything please let me know.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4304
look on ebay for stuff similar to dynamat.. like fatmat, brownbread, edead, or similar. this matting lines the trunk against the metal, under the trim you see inside the trunk to reduce vibration and noise.
expanding spray foam works for areas the matting can't reach
another option is to have the trunk interior (under the trim panels) rhino-lined

tighten down all bolts and connectors that may be vibrating as well.

its a bit of work and some cost involved but the payoff is worth the effort.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 14
Something else to keep in mind is firing your speakers fowared. Most people fire them backwards to get the best boom for their buck. Since you drive a jetta I am guessing you spent some money on your stereo. Look into getting a custon sealed box that fits tightly to the back of your seat. Ask the shop to set the face of the box about 2 inches back from the outside edges, and then scribe the edges to fit tight. You will get alot better sound quality, and if you drop the seat down you will notice it getting alot louder. I used this setup in a 1990 bereta, and loved it. Very hard hitting and alot better sound quality. Just as with the dynamat, a custom built box isn't cheap, but well worth the money if rattles piss you off like they do me.

Bronze Member
Username: Aaronlogan

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
I have a 91 mustang with a wing on the back, it ratlles because of the bass, i am wondering would i should put under the wing (just a little space a few millimeters) to help it from rattling.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 21
try pulling the screws out and put a lock washer on them so they will stop comming loose. With the screws good and tight it shouldn't rattle to bad.

Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 7
im not sure if this would work with something heavy like a spoiler, but i used rubber washers to prevent my license plate from rattling, and they work great. might not look too pretty unless ur car is black tho....

Aus-Bos
Unregistered guest
I have a 93 mustang and my spoiler used to rattle. I fixed it by rolling up pieces of paper and shoving it under the spoiler. Now I roll with pride.

Unregistered guest
I have a 95 grand am and i have 2 12" subs and my trunk rattles really bad but you can only hear it outside how would i be able to get the rattles to go away it really irritates me alot thanks

Wisomleach
Unregistered guest
I have an '87 honda crx. My system is a 560watt amp with 2 10's. It rattle the hell out of the hatchback. What would be a good material to save the hatch from rattling off? :-)Its pretty bad.

Unregistered guest
i have a '71 pontiac Le Manz and i was wanting to get a system going in it but i don't know where to start, money isn't a problem so please help me out, thanks

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 637
Hey jt2tees, read the posts under amps. There are some info there that can help you.

Wisdomleach
Unregistered guest
hey jt2tees, check if money not a prob, check out www.kicker.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 21
I don't care what you do, if your subs hit hard enough, something will rattle. Through all of my expeiences, there is only one good way to keep your trunk from rattling, and its a cheap one too. Turn the volume down:-)

Unregistered guest
why do people turn the subs where the magnets are out of the box does it hit harder or what.

Anonymous

[QUOTE]why do people turn the subs where the magnets are out of the box does it hit harder or what.[QUOTE]

Yah why is that?

Bronze Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 69
well for some people they do it because the subs look cool, for example the audiobahn flames. the only reason i can think why else they would do it is because if you do that, its like a giant port for the sub

Silver Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 132
it's either done for the look like lee said, or you do it for space requirements. like if you have to make your box long and narrow, it'll still have the right cu.ft., but not be deep enough.

Username: Sk81985

ATL, Georgia

Post Number: 2
put in some port holes, and use dynamat

Anonymous

i have a 96 corolla and 2 12" kenwood, and my car rattles, wat are some ways to reduce the rattle?? ive heard of dynamat the whole car, tighten bolts, use silicone, raising the closing clasp so u have to slam it to close it, putting towel around spare, wrap everything in the trunk and silicone license plate, anyone have any other ideas??? if u do plz email me at

Brianzeaz@yahoo.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us