Need an amp and on a tight budget

Desperate_Man
Unregistered guest
I have very little money after buying a car, and mods for the car, so i need to find a 2400 watt 2 ch amp that wont cost that much.....im not proud of it but one of the only ones i can find that i could pay for is a legacy LA2080 amp.....i know...i know ... so unless you guys(girls??) can help me find a 2400 watt 2 ch amp for under $200 im gonna have to buy that

Yaadi
Unregistered guest
i'm kinda new to this, but i found a PYLE Amp (2400 W peak when bridged) for under a buck 50 ($150) at "shopping.com" formerly "dealtime.com"

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 108
dont get legacy!!! here's a good amp that will beat the legacy by far! http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOR402

Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 4
check out the rocaudio items on ebay, go to his store, some of his stuff if decent, and a darned good price

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4327
what makes you think you need 2400 watts of power?
that will require a new alternator, 0ga cable at $6 per foot, and a bank of deep cycle batteries in the back of the car.

I run 2500 watts total in my system between three amplifiers, and those amps were $1,250 each to get that much clean power.

the Legacy you saw only puts out about 200-300 watts total RMS. peak and max ratings are meaningless. You're getting ripped off with that legacy, it'll sound like crap, and it won't last very long before you're buying a new one to replace it when it fails and destroys the speakers too.

I'm assuming you found a pair of subs you liked that are made by some company like audiobahn and claim they're 1200 watt speakers?
that's a thermal rating, not the amount of power the subs actually need to reach peak excursion.
they probably only need about 300 watts each for peak performance in a decent box.

why don't you tell us the car you have, and your budget for subs and amp, and anything else for the system, or if this is going onto a stock system, or what..

then we can suggest things to buy that won't disappoint you.

Desperate_Man
Unregistered guest
but will that power 2 700 watt RMS 12's...because thats what i need the amp for

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4328
entirely depends on the make and model of the speakers

again, power handling on speakers is a THERMAL rating.
this means it's a measure of how much heat (in watts) the voice coils can handle without literally melting. It honestly has nothing to do with how much power the speakers need to reach peak performance, which is usually much less than the peak thermal handling.
700 watt speakers probably need around 200-300wRMS each ideally.
adding more power than that will do nothing to improve SPL or SQ. All it'll do is cause the subs to over-extend and distort.

just trying to help ya out before you spend any money on something you don;t really want or need

Desperate_Man
Unregistered guest
thanks...if you were still wondering i have a 1999 nissan sentra and $700 ...i am interested in getting an entire system....cd deck, amp, subs, speakers....the only thing i dont need is a box...i can make that myself. I want sub(s) that really pound. All i heard was good things about Adire so i was looking at them for 1 or 2 12"s but whatever you guys thing will be better. I was also looking at alpine for a deck.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4347
Adire makes great subs
the Shiva 12" needs around 300-400 watts for peak performance.
the Brahma, it's big brother, needs around 600 watts RMS for a 12" to reach peak output in a good box.

Desperate_Man
Unregistered guest
so what amp would i need to run 2 12" shivas or 1 12" brahma

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4359
something in the 600-800 watt x 1 @ 2 ohm range

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 167
im looking into getting 2 Shivas with a MTX 801d. Prolly wont get that any time soon since it will be around $500 or a little more. Plus a new box possibly.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 168
oh anyway the 801 does 400x2@2 ohms. The shivas are dual 8 ohm. Subs wired in parralell presents 2 4 ohm subs i believe. 2 4ohm subs wired in parralell to the amp shows a 2 ohm total load. Therefore it can do 800x1 or 400x2. Plenty enough for 2 Shivas. Hope they sound good... if you go this route tell me what you think of these!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4371
your wiring is correct. you'll get a 2 ohm load mono
however, a bridged 2 channe;l amp is only 4 ohm stable
you need a class D mono amp for those two subs.
look at the Thunder series mono amps instead.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 170
MTX 801d is a class D Thunder series amp from MTX. ;) I know because I have the 311d.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 171
and i just said it does 400x2@2 but actually it does 800x1@2 i just broke it down for ease of use. sorry i know how i probably confused you.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4388
I only remember a few MTX model specs my name..
I was reading quickly and took the specs at face value.
if its a mono amp you're in good shape

Desperate_Man
Unregistered guest
So would a phoenix gold OCTANE-R 8.0:1 amp work to power 2 12" adire shivas?....or would that just power 1

Username: Youngblood

Post Number: 1
i was looking at either the octane r 8.0.1 or the mtx thunder 801d...which would be better. Also i was wondering if i had 2 12" adire shivas ...would i need a power cap or anything like that. Thanks for your help

Username: Phaseramous

Cudahy, Ca Us

Post Number: 7
If you are interested I have a 2004 punch p8002 rockford fosgate amp with remote punch bass controller, I paid $600 for it but no longer need it since I got an 1100a2 fosgate and a 800a2 also. I am willing to sell it for $400, i tested the amp by bridging it and hooking up one 12' t1 1200 watt fosgate woofer and a 15' hx2 2000watt fosgate woofer and the amp lifted both with no problem. It is 800 at 4 0hm 1600 at 2 ohm's and 2400 peak at 1 ohm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us