General Amp Question about Ohms

Unregistered guest
My amp has two channels.
100W x 2 @ 4ohm
170W x 2 @ 2ohm
350W x 1 @ 4ohm bridged

So say I hook up one 4ohm sub to one of the channels I will be giving it 100W. If I hooked up a 2ohm sub to the one channel I would be giving it 170W. So correct me if im wrong, but when I put 2 - 2ohm subs on my amp is it bridging the output and then spliting it between channels... like 350/2?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 85
err no. Putting 2 2ohm subs on each channel would be giving it 170 to each sub. If you wired the subs in series, to 4 ohms, then you could bridge the output to 350 and it would split the output, but not exactly even.

here is a wiring diagram

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4250
well firstly, putting a pair of 2 ohm subs on one channel would only give 170W to each sub if the amp is bridged mono.
then it's only 4 ohm stable anyway and you'd get teh same result putting one sub on each of two stereo channels unbridged.

if the subs are wired in series, and put on a bridged amp, the power will be evenly divided between the subs.

Anonymous

ok...the amp is a Zapco 350. I want to run the 2 ohm Image Dynamics Chameleon set on it. So I would be delivering 170W stereo to each crossover correct? I am just really confused about this amp. I used to own it and I would switch between stereo and mono and the subs would get louder but wouldnt sound as good. Can someone explain this...

CoPPer
Unregistered guest
Ok no one is replying.. lol

All I want to know is.. my amp stereo at 2ohm (170W)? And on a stereo 2 channel amplifier when it says 170W x 2 @ 2ohm, does it mean the channel or final load of the two channels?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4306
just wire the components with the crossover modules.
you'll get 170w x 2 with that amp
impedance doesn't drop unless you put two of the same speaker on each channel so that both speakers on one channel are producing the same frequency at the same time.
in your case with a mid and a tweeter this won't happen since the crossover will prevent that overlapping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us