JL 250/1 vs Alpine MRD-M301

Anonymous

Im buying 2 10W0's and was wondering which amp would be better. My friend is running 2 12W0's on the alpine, but Im scared it would be a little TOO overpowered for the 10's. If I get the alpine, I would be getting the control arm link so I can control the amp from my HU, is that worth it? This is my first system, so I really doubt I'll be tweaking a lot of it :P

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4223
the 350/1 is severely underrated anyway and actualy puts out as much or more power than the Alpine.
you should be ok using the alpine amp as long as you're careful with the system. if the speakers begin to bottom out or distort, then you're pushing them too hard, and you need to turn down the bass or the volume.
remember the W0 line is made to be shallow mount, low power, and affordable. they aren't made to produce enormous amounts of bass.

Anonymous

Well, that's not going to leave me feeling very safe about that setup, as I obviously don't have much money, and me blowing a sub is gonna make me pretty pissed off. Im going more for SQ than SPL (seen the subs I want), and won't be trying to push them TOO much, but I would like something safe as well.

What would you suggest to do? Get different subs, like some Infinity Perfects? Kicker and Eclipse would mean I would have to get a better amp as well. or a different amp, like last years MRD-300, which only pushes 300 watts instead of the 301's 350, or an MTX (which one?)

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 437
You can also check out the dayton quatro subs from www.partsexpress.com. They are 200 rms and can be had for two subs under 150.00 shipped and they will do with either amp.

Anonymous

no offense to you, or that company, but i am not going to

a)buy from a company I haven't heard of, even if they are good. You can call me an idiot for not having heard of Dayton, but thats the way it is.

b)buy something from the internet that I haven't heard myself in a store.

And $150 for two subs? Now, I know price isn't always the best measurement for quality, but i would like to spend a little more than that. The 10W0 is pretty cheap already (I can't get the W6 though).

SteveK
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf, searching through the forums, I found that you said that 2 12W0's go perfectly with a 250/1 couple times, and that a 500/1 goes well with 3 10's.

I think the 500/1 is outta my range right now (we will see when I actually buy my subs, at the end of August), but if 2 12's is perfect for it, can you, or someone, tell me how much the SPL would increase, and how much the SQ would decrease. Sorry for apparently managing to get this thread talking more about my subs than amps.

But on the thing with amps, is a 300/2 still underrated as much as the mono amps (I know its a lot more expensive...). Infinity was a two channel amp that puts out 142x2@2ohms, forget the model, its on Crutchfield. Do they have good amps? Would a two channel amp even be good for those two subs?

And in JL Pontiac Vibe used the following:

CS210RG-W0-2 PowerWedge enclosed subwoofer system
[1] e1200 and [2] e2150 "e" series amplifiers.

is the slash series a lot better, and how would JL have set up that car, is the 1200 powering both subs (100 watts each then, right?).

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4249
the slash series amps have regulated power supplies and output stages. the e series do not.
it's a matter of which fits your neets better.
personally I'd go with twelves over tens for subs, but while the W0s are good subs, they aren't my choice in their price range. It's like buying a base model 6cyl sportscar. You're buying it for the name and not for the performance at all.. usually because you can't afford the better model or don't need or want the performance.
for $125 a piece I could buy adire 12" shiva subs that will slaughter the W0 subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Demigod33

Post Number: 99
amen

forum closed

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 451
So just because its a no name company means its not good. hmmmmm. Do some research first then come back and talk. Check out www.splbassx.com and ask anyone over there about the daytons and then you will get a real opinion about them.

Thanks.

SteveK
Unregistered guest
Well, I wasn't actually thinking of getting JL, but they w0's are pretty cheap. I was thinking of getting Alpine Type R's, which pretty much their top sub (besides the X, but thats really expensive), but ive been told that even this bottom-of-the-line JL is better than the type R's.

And I don't know of any place to listen to an Adire sub. Its all relative, and since they require more power, two 10's might be too much for my liking, and I would rather get one 12, or even one 10.

What else would you suggest in that price range then?

SteveK
Unregistered guest
David- here is what I posted:

"Now, I know price isn't always the best measurement for quality".

And I really don't care what other people's opinion is about a sub, and I don't judge my purchase on what other people say. I see what other people say, and then see if I like it as well.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 863
I can assure you that you'll like the Adire Shiva a LOT better than a W0 in all aspects. It only needs around 300W RMS to get to full excursion in the right box. One Shiva is just as good (if not better) in the SPL dept. as 2 W0's, and much better SQ to boot. If you want more bang for your buck, two Adire Shivas ($250) and a JBL 600.1 (200) and you'd eat the 2 W0 and 250/1 combo alive. Much better SQ and a lot more SPL. Also, whoever told you the bottom of the line JL is better than a Type R is just going by the name, I'd take the Type R long before a W0. Doubt you'll hear an Adire sub as they strictly sell online for all I know, you just have to take a leap of faith with that one.

SteveK
Unregistered guest
Maybe he was underpowering the type R's (like running the MRD-M301 to 2 of them instead of the 501). The Type Rs are actually quite a bit more expensive (relatively) than the W0's, unless I buy them from a sketchy online dealer.

Looks like im going to have to save up some more to get a decent setup. Unless I want to get something like a one 10(or 12) W3v2, Type R, or Infinity Perfect, and getting either a M301 or 250/1 to run that until I can get enough money to buy the other half of that setup :S
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us