Amp is killing battery

Username: Darkdragoon

Post Number: 1
Me and my brother put in an older Kenwood KAC-7202 amp he had laying around into my car a few weeks ago, but the amp seems to kill my battery when left overnight. The amp is powered off when this occurs, the light goes off when the radio goes off and turns on when the radio turns on since the remote wire is hooked to the remote on the radio. I know it's the amp because if I pull the fuse from the power wire to the amp and leave it the battery doesn't die, however if I leave that fuse in the battery will be dead within a day or two.

My thought for why this is happening is a bad capacitor or something in the the amp that's leaking current or something along those lines. I have an analog voltmeter laying around and tested what i could by checking the voltage at the amps positive and negative terminals while the fuse was in and after it was pulled, and while it was in the amp gets the full battery voltage as you'd expect but once you pull the fuse the voltage slowly drains until it's empty. Now i'm not sure if it's supposed to do this or not but to me that seems like it means the amp is either consuming or leaking power, but i could be wrong about that I guess.

My question is does anyone have any insight as to what might be occurring with the amp thats killing my battery even though the amp is off. Also is there anyway I could wire a switch to the power wire going to the amp so I could switch it on and off instead of having to pop my hood and pull the fuse all the time.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1653
amps Remote wire works on a pulse, pulse from radio triggers on, pulse triggers it off. do this, disconnect the rem see if the battery drains. if not, your remote wire is probably wired to accessory or clock wire not the proper rem. the amp will always get 12 volts at the terminal because you have a direct feed to your battery. other then that only other reason is a wires crossed going to the amp or it's a bad amp. these hookups are dead simple. positive to batt with fuse, neg to chassis ground. remote wire to head unit remote or amp turn on. that's it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us