New system amp problem

Username: Damon525

Pocatello, Idaho United States

Post Number: 1
Alright amateur question that you are all probably sick of answering but I need some help so I just put the system I had in my car into my truck I have a kenwood kdc x399 head unit and a KAC 5001 I think but I'm not entirely sure but it is pushing a single alpine type R 12 anyway got it all hooked up worked great for about a day but on a bass heavy song the amp cut out and didn't come back on I shut my truck of and then turned it on and it worked fine after that day later did it again didn't think much of it since it has done it before turned my truck of and let it sit over night came back the next day amp won't turn on now... I replace the fuses going from the battery to the amp and looked at the fuse coming out of the back of the amp it's self didn'looked blown but I but another in just to make sure and it still didn't work any suggestions I am not very experienced with this stuff any help would be great

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 2002
Make sure the sub is wired to the amp at no mess than 2 ohm final load. if you ran at lower than 2 ohm you might have blown the amp.

You may want to take a look if the amp is entering protect mode or not turning on, you should check your electrical, ground cable to chassis, etc.

Post Number: 2
What would happen if it went into protect mode? And how do I tell if it 2 ohm sorry for if these are dumb questions

Post Number: 3
So I just unhooked everything and hooked it back up again still nothing but when I take my radio wire and touch it to my power cord for a second then back onto the radio wire screw it turns on then slowly fades does this mean anything? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
If the turn on signal of the amp is bad just connect the amp turn on terminal to the +12V terminal, you measure your final impedance of the subs with a multimeter, you can do some calculations, for example, if you have in parallel two 4 ohm single coil sub you will get 2 ohm (well near that), what you want is not going below the minimal stable impedance of the amp which is 2 ohm, or it will enter protect or get damaged, usually there's a light indicating amp is in protect mode, check your manual. Also make sure you get 13V or more at the amp terminals while vehicle is on.

Post Number: 4
Thank you for the responses very help full I ran a bridge from my radio wire to my power cord... The amp turns on and my sub works but the sound quality sucks it's not that my sub is blown it cuts out like it is not getting enough power! So should I replace both the radio wire and the power cord? Or is something else wrong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2007
Get a multimeter to test, it's less than $20, the power to the amp comes directly from the battery? Hope it's done like that, there's a bunch of things that can be wrong, if you really don't want to bother have it looked at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us