First car, want my first system

Bronze Member
Username: Thegr33nninja

CA United States

Post Number: 20
Hello all, as you've probably figured out from my title, I got my first car. Now i'd like my first sub setup.

So, what I've gathered thus far is I want an SQL setup. I want the sub to sound clean, but I want it to be loud. I want to feel it in my chest, hit lows and rattle windows as I drive by house/other cars.

So, I don't have the biggest car, but I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Here's what I have my eyes on thus far

Sub: XCON
Size: Not sure
Quantity: Undecided
Ohm: Unsure

Amp: Sundown 1500(open to suggestion

I'm also planning on doing the big three upgrade and maybe getting a HO alternator.

I just need some advice, how big of a sub am I looking at to satisfy my basshead cravings? I wanted a single 18 at first, but i'm not sure how big of a box I can fit in my trunk. I want a ported box tuned low. I don't really have a price limit per se.

So, what will I need to accomplish a clean running sub? I have no idea how to build a box either, I have to find a car audio shop.

I have a 2013 ford focus titanium.
Any advice appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 885
I am not familiar the 2013 focus and where you could put the box and how much room there is. From older focus's i have seen, i assume you dont have a ton of room to work with. I would get the 12" based on that. you want to match the sub to the amp and im pretty sure the sundown in 1500w at 1 ohm, so you want the dual 2 ohm for a single sub setup.

what setups have you heard before? i am betting that you will be quite suprised by the output in a conservative ported box.

Bronze Member

CA United States

Post Number: 21
Thanks for the reply, man! Big update here.

So! I went with the XCON. I decided to get the 10" with the SAZ 1500 V3 because I wanted to run the sub close to optimal as possible, yet still have a little bit of trunk space. I'd be fighting really hard to get a 3 cube ft box in the back, so I decided to go with the smaller sub.

I've only heard two setups, and was NOT impressed with the subs. My girlfriend's friends have cheap setups, and it left me underwhelmed. The girl has two twelve inch kicker's in her trunk in a sealed small box. Hardly could even tell they were there. Idk what amp they had. Very underwhelmed.
The girl's fiance had a small setup in a truck. A swap meet setup he got for who knows how cheap. I could definitely tell he had a sub, just it was really weak, and didn't hit lows at all and sounds very...muddy. Not sure how to explain it, but it sounded warped the whole time. It was weird. So i'm hoping my XCON shall best the bunch and leave me impressed.

So, I bought my amp, the sub D2 like you said (just gotta wait three weeks for the build/shipping time) and now I just have to do the big three upgrade along with buy my battery and get a optimal ported box for the sub. Any idea where I can figure out how to get a box? And how low is recommended to tune it? I was thinking 32, but if lower is advisable, i'd go lower.

The best conservative measurements I can get:
Entry size 35"
inside trunk:
17" deep
38.5" wide from wheel hub to wheel hub (i'd have to remove that stock pitiful sub)
12.5" height

I also attached a couple pics of my ride. That black pitiful thing you see inside the right of my trunk is the stock sub. Verrrrrry pitiful. Can't wait to get my install.http://oi39.tinypic.com/2mmzv9t.jpghttp://oi41.tinypic.com/2q1cdjd.jpg

Bronze Member

CA United States

Post Number: 22
So I think I've found my battery. Is this size good, or should I go for the 31m?http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-34m-price/p-0285 0134000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
I'm avoiding a H/O alternator because of this warranty I have. Unfortunate.

Silver Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 111
I would go with an AGM battery. If you wanna save money google a battery distributor in your area and you can purchase "blems" from them for cheap (i got a 100amp hour batts(agm) for 90$) , Saving money is always best, car audio can be expensive u know? did you buy the sundown and the ssa xcon already?

Bronze Member
Username: Turnerdaniel770

Post Number: 20
Battery backup is more important for the louder speaker. Think of AGM Battery.

http://carkart.com

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1920
Sure, how about XS Power rather than whatever junk is sold in that phoney likely fraudulent site. Sad that spammers are giving the advice now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us