Amp not getting power

Username: Darksolarlegend

Post Number: 1
Hi! I'm new here so bare with me. So yesterday my dad, my friend, and I completely tore apart my car (01 chevy Lumina) and installed door and rear deck speakers, as well as subs(ported dual 10inch) and an amp (mono 250 watt). My friend and I are electronic majors and thought we could hook this up easly.... Well we quickly learned that it was pretty hard lol. We ran all the cables right. We made sure the ground was good. But the amp has no power. We jumped the remote wire and the power wire and it hums but no turn on. We double checked fuses and no luck. Theres one light that comes on but its not the.power ligt. It sits right by the power light, I just cant rember what it says right now. Any one have any ideas whats up with this thing?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14828
make sure your ground point is sanded to bare metal (not grounding an O-ring to paint)

make sure the gain or input-sensitivity is NOT turned all the way up. It should be up no more than one quarter turn clockwise (up from maximum sensitivity)

make sure, using a DMM, that you're getting 12VDC to the power and remote wire when the radio is turned on.

The hum you hear is typical of feedback, which is caused by over-driving the input stage by having the gain turned up too far.

My degree was in E.E. as well, and I worked at an audio shop as an MECP cert'ed master installer. 20 years of experience is the biggest help for stuff like this, though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14830
make sure your ground point is sanded to bare metal (not grounding an O-ring to paint)

make sure the gain or input-sensitivity is NOT turned all the way up. It should be up no more than one quarter turn clockwise (up from maximum sensitivity)

make sure, using a DMM, that you're getting 12VDC to the power and remote wire when the radio is turned on.

The hum you hear is typical of feedback, which is caused by over-driving the input stage by having the gain turned up too far.

My degree was in E.E. as well, and I worked at an audio shop as an MECP cert'ed master installer. 20 years of experience is the biggest help for stuff like this, though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14831

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us