Did I fry my amp? how why

Username: Estima04

Post Number: 9
I had a alpine mrp-130 amp and I kinda killed it but would like to know if what i did is what did it.

I wanted a bit more juice out of my amp and more umf from the speakers so after reading online that it is 2 ohm stable i decided to hook my speakers up the same as you would with subs to turn them to 2 ohm parallel to get more power. so 2 subs 1 channel or in my case 2 speakers 1 channel. after pumping it nicely for 10 mins it went dead. I felt the unit and it was really hot you almost cant touch it. once cooled down it starts up again but now it makes ghosting music like as if its like a singer on the far end of a long hall way without the echoes.
that was probably the cause. are speakers not ment to be hooked up parallel only subs or amp was the amp about to die and felt like it at the time.

Please let me konw what i did wrong dont want to blow up another amp.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1802
Because it says that when bridged the load must stay 4 ohms Read carefully next time.

Post Number: 10
Thanks joe so when bridged it must stay at 4 ohms. I mustve done option 3 but I cannot find where it says bridged 4 ohm

I have some questions and may sound ignorant please dont take it that way and with no disrepect a sound enthuisast wanting some help
specs of my amp

Details:
option 1 50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
option 2 65 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
option 3 130 watts RMS x 1 bridged output
stereo or bridged mono output
Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
requires 10-gauge power and ground leads � wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
Bass Engine� features:
selectable 80 Hz high-pass/low-pass crossover, 18 dB/octave
tuned Bass EQ (8 dB bass boost at 50 Hz)
MOSFET power supply
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
gold-plated screw terminals
blue power LED
8-11/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 10"D
1-year warranty

1. what I was trying to achieve was the 2nd option, can you show me how that is achieved.

2. is hooking up any speakers in parallel regarded as bridged and must stay at 4 ohm and not the case with subs?

3. the saying goes a stupid question = a stupid person I hope you guys dont feel that way about me here comes the dumb question, i thought that as it can handle a 2 ohm output at 65w X 2, speakers in parallel is 2 ohm so it should be ok and another 2 in parallel in the 2nd channel but i guess thats not how you do it?

Thank for your patience

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1803
You need to download the manual, I did and that's what it says, just get something else like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-ONX4-80-Amp-Multi-Channel/dp/B003E82Q7U/ref=pd_sx p_grid_pt_1_2

The amp on the link can give you two 80 W channels + 1 320W bridged for a sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks joe,

appriciate it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us