Help me please! Ahhhhhh!

Username: Byth

Post Number: 1
Hi there,
I currently have a mono 1000W Crossfire that powers 2- 12" R-Series Alpine box. This was completely professionally installed. Now, I am in the middle of changing out my rears and front speakers, and thought, why don't I get another amp to power these 4 speakers. Well, guess what! I in my infinite wisdom ( satire ) purchased from a friend a 5 ( yes, not 4 ) channel amp. Thinking that I could just continue using the first amp ( crossfire ) that is being utilized for the subs. Thus, begs the question: Went into a local stereo store and told me that should I do what I intend, that the 5 channel amp will burn out in little or no time if the sub woofer is not plugged into it. He stated that running a 5 channel amp and not using ALL outputs is just as if you were driving a car with one wheel completely locked up. The stereo guy said it might last a week, a month, a day, but there's no telling considering the amount of work it is going to take to install the newest and additional amp. I want CLARITY, POWER and BASE! Ps. I have an old alpine deck, Alpine Receiver CDA-9855, which is satellite and WMA ready! whoop whoop! I know, I know, upgrade the deck, but I just don't have the moola at this time.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1668
To simulate the presence of a speaker connect an 8 ohm ceramic resistor say 5W to the sub channel BUT the gain of that channel must be set to zero and stay at zero or the resistor will eventually overheat and burn, once installed you should check that is completely cold while the amp operates normally and for an extended period.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us