Center channel speaker

Silver Member
Username: Chofilena

Iloilo, Iloilo Philippines

Post Number: 158
What do you guys think of this speaker as a center speaker Dayton ND65-4 2-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-204&scqty=1

I need a small center speaker that could go down 100hz to be compatible with the MS-8 time alignment. Please advice, thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14722
I think you need to find something at least 4" or larger to handle the power/volume a center channel needs.
remember nearly ALL of your audio in multi-channel for movies and such, comes from the center channel. front L+R and surrounds are just peripheral, and the sub is only for the bottom two octaves or so. Eveeything else is center channel only.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Oh no, I purchased the driver already and I don't think I can fit a 4" in the center of my dashboard. Since its there already I might as well give it a try. What would be the right size of enclosure would you recommend to reach 100 hz? Please help, I don't understand reading the specs of the speaker. Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14726
you won't reach 100Hz at an audible SPL with a 2" speaker, and a speaker that small is most likely designed for IB (infinite baffle) so it won't require an enclosure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Thanks! I was hoping that. So its free air and I can mount it on top of the dashboard. What do you think of this location (blue dot on the dash)? The driver is shielded, does that mean it wont harm my display unit and my HU or it will? Speaker will be facing upwards and towards the windshield. Please advice, before I do something really stupid to my car. Thanks Glasswolf.
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14728
when you start reflecting speakers off of other surfaces, you will begin to encounter problems with phase shift and signal path length disparities. You'd probably be better off putting a center channel lower in the dash and just aiming it upward a bit toward the head position of the listener(s)

shielded speakers shield the magnet of the driver so it won't affect things with it's magnetic field, such as a CRT. Not really a concern with LCD displays as they do not contain magnetically controlled electron guns like a CRT does.

That is really an ugly, transofrmer looking dashboard that car has. I think a good spot for the center might be that "mouth" looking thing in the center of the console. If that's not important, replace it with an ABS panel and mount a speaker in it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
How I wish I could do that but my wife is going to kill me. I have this 4" MB quart MB 100KN-S but I really cant find a place for it. And I'm worried installing the speaker under the dash, since it might bring down my sound stage. Can it be possible if I just put a frame on this speakers and leave the back side of the enclosure/frame open for the air to move (to make it free air or maybe like a vented box) ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14730
Come to think of it, I believe there is a rear view mirror replacement that has two small speakers on the back side to act as a center channel.. that's another concealed option for you. So is fiberglassing an enclosure for the speaker to blend it into the dash.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1589
Admirable new technology!

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Hi Joe, Any comments on this driver as a center speaker? It claims it can reach down to 85hz and I want it set at 100hz on the MS-8.
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/loudspeaker-components/loudspeaker-drivers- by-type/full-range/nd65-4-2-1-2-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1590
I see no problems with it, I like to use same speakers brand in a system though, the other thing is that potentially can add coloration and reflections to sound.. it's all subjective in the end and you may have to try and see if it does good or not, to me you should have as many speakers as channels your source material has with the exception of the sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
I just hope this center channel would work. So far it's the smallest driver I could find that could reach this, low frequency. Been reading about the MS-8 in other forums and they recommend the biggest coaxial center speaker you could fit and set at 200hz or lower, facing the windshield. But in my case this would be the biggest that I can install, otherwise its going to block my windshield and look ugly in the car or it's going to be a hell of work. They also recommend amplifying the front mid/woofer, tweeter, center (all front speakers) and have the MS-8 power the rear speakers. They say its better for the MS-8 to read this during time alignment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1593
What I meant to say is that you find ultra high end home audio systems (aimed at music only) having only two speakers, meaning equipment worth maybe half a million USD, still two speakers (and achieving perfect soundstaging), many times no signal processing at all just room treatment, and speaker positioning which there's even software for that.. the whole idea is stay as true as possible to the source signal.. this is the way SQ is done.. not to fit personal taste as primary goal..

So adding channels or doing signal processing is breaking those rules..in most cases. I think that you should just experiment to get what you like.. if what you are after is a HT experience it's cool.. can't really confirm what you have read regarding the center channel or know in which context or on what purpose was suggested.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I know what you mean. I'm just finding ways to improve the SQ of what I have now and to maximize the capabilities of the MS-8.The purpose is how to get a true phantom image as what they call it on both front seats of the car with the use of the MS-8 with logic 7 switched on. They claim, its better to have a center speaker that has the same frequency range as the main drivers. If not possible, is at least put a driver that could go down to 100hz and not over 200hz. They have a long thread of 300+ pages dedicated to MS-8 alone, which is very useful if you're using one and knowing the remedy of what other people has encountered.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1595
Yes you are after a surround processing HT experience, the MS-8 is an expensive piece of gear, I think that I would also like to know what it can do and the small speaker is not going to break the bank either.... it's cool, maybe you will get to "that sound" that you are looking for.

What I can tell you is that with proper positioning of your comps you can achieve perfect soundstaging, some people completely modify the door panels or kick panels to get there.. and they do. It's also true that some vehicles are hard to work with and others not so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us