Kenwood KAC-8405 Problem

Username: Croatianblackhawk

Portland, OREGON United States

Post Number: 1
I have a kenwood 8405 4 channel amp powering my 4 door speakers and the other day in the middle of a song they decided to shutoff. I turned on and off the radio and the amp resumed working a couple days later the same thing happened but the amp will not turn on now. All wires i checked and swapped out with my kenwood 7205 which is working and they work so i know it isnt the wiring. Also both fuses are good on the amp. I noticed that when i have a hot power and disconnect it from the amp while still on it will light up as if its working then power down because there is no power connected anymore. It would seem that the amp is fried or something else is wrong internally anyone else have this problem??

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1546
I have heard of people having lots of issues with kenwood amps overtime so I am not surprised, you should probably disconnect all the speakers and try one at a time just to make sure there is not a problem with one of them. I am certain that you don't own a multimeter so I won't ask you to test the speakers impedance or the input voltage at it's terminals, sometimes fuses are not blown but develop poor contact. Anyhow there is a real chance that it went out anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2798
sounds like the amp is overheating?
Car amps will protect themselves just like home gear, right?

too loud / too long will also fry speakers, but all four doors at once?

How distorted do you listen?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1568
If you disconnect all the speakers from your amp and it turns on and stays on maybe there is a problem with the speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14713
your gain is most likely set too high, causing the amp to enter thermal protection mode due to clipping.

Kenwood doesn't make very good amps to begin with, to be honest, and I see almost as many of them fail as I do Sony amps.

Username: Croatianblackhawk

Portland, OREGON United States

Post Number: 2
so it was a blown speaker that forced the amp to go into protected mode then I ran into a problem with picking up interference from the car alternater which turned out to be from a blown microfuse inside my pioneer head unit which was resolved by grounding my rca cables to the head unit

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14716
I figured you'd have checked the speakers first. Sorry about that.
Also be aware that if you have a blown speaker, chacnes are there's another problem that caused the speaker to blow. Speakers very rarely ever just "blow" from "too much power." The cause is usually clipping from the amplifier caused by too small of an alternator, too small power and ground wire gauge, a bad ground point, or the gain on the amp being turned up too high. Those are the most common causes of clipping, and subsequently, of blown speakers.

The Pioneer thing is very common. Happens all the time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us