How to hook up 8 Speakers to a amp

Username: Projectviper255yahoocom

Post Number: 1
Hello, I have a 1993 Lincoln Mark Viii that came from factory with 8 speakers. two front speakers with 2 front tweeters and 2 rear speakers with 2 rear tweeters. I want to replace the factory speakers with Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6 x 8-Inches Full Range 3-Way Speakers with two in front and two in rear. I want to keep the tweeters since they sound ok. Now when i got the car the person before be butchered the system. He bypassed the factory amp in the trunk by running 2 sets of wires from amp to where the head unit is. The only speakers he ran were the tweeters and NOT the regular speakers. So now i have to do a complete rewiring. My question is how do i wire the speakers. I want to ad a amp in the back again but don't know how to do so. I have installed a sub before but never regular speakers. So how do i rewire this situation? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14708
running multiple speakers on one amplifier channel isn't typically an issue if you have a midrange, and tweeter together, since they have crossovers that prevent them from playing the same frequencies. The problem comes when you have 2 of the same speaker playing the same frequency on one amp channel, then your impedance is affected based on how the speakers are wired together.

Now in your case, your best bet is to either just re-wire everything back to factory stock, or replace it all. Trying to alter a factory system is usually a bad move, because factory stereos are often proprietary and use odd speaker loads so replacing one portion of the system is nearly impossible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us