3-Way System Protection circuitry (thermal, overload, high/low voltage)

Username: Codybh

Post Number: 1
Hey, i had a Soundstream Tarantula Series Monoblock Class D Car Amplifier ordered and sent to me for my 15" rd alpha subwoofer, , when i hooked up the amp and sub , i hooked the sub up to 1 ohm, and the amps rating is 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm , i turned on my truck and played it to test it out and it was working fine. but the settings were all turned down, i adjusted the "Level" on the amplifier which made it hit better, and all was good. so i shut off the truck to clean up, but when i turned the truck back on it was in protect mode. and i tried everything to get it out of protect mode, no luck, checked ground power wire, everything. My only idea is that either i shouldnt of touched the level adjustment , or my trucks electrical can not handle such high wattage and it went into protect mode because of the high/low voltage 3 way system protection, do anyone think that it was the level that made it go in protect. or because i have a stock altenator , but i do have the big 3 upgrade done. any help or ideas or expierences with this amp would be greatly appricated , thanks !

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1421
What is the vehicle that you have this all installed in?

Username: Codybh

Post Number: 2
It is all installed in a s10 ext cab !

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1251
Ok I can recommend a few tests:

1) Check the voltage at the terminals of the amp when turned ao and you will need to have at least 11-12 volts there with the amp turn on. If it's low then check the voltage at your battery of it's not low check all your power lines fuses, and the grouding point of your amp.

2) disconnect the sub from the amp at the amp terminals and the signal cable (RCAs) and turn on to see if it enters protect mode. if it does not, check the resistance of the sub with a multimeter. It should show at least 0.7 ohm. Also check the polarity of the coils and that everything is firmly connected.

See what you find..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us