Connecting Tweeter and Mid Wires to the same connection

Username: Elcacoch

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I am replacing my rear speakers with some infinity kappa 462.9cfp speakers. It looks like my car had a stock amplifier and the stock rear speakers had a twitter and a 4" speaker, both with their own connections. My new speakers only have 1 connection though. On the product spec's it says: "Computer-optimized voice-matched outboard passive crossovers - Each Kappa multielement and component system features an outboard crossover that has been voice-matched for flawless performance with incredible detail and accuracy"

So what is recommended? For me to a) connect just the "mid/lower freqency" wires to it? b) connect both sets of wires together. c) or just connect the high frequency wires?

Thanks for the help.}

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 816
Welcome,

Ok whatever you do, don't connect together the speaker cables, just connect a pair and then the other pair if you hear only highs with one set and mids in the other then what you suspect is correct.

Let me know what happened.

Post Number: 2
Thanks,

I connected the high's first and I could only hear and feel the tweeter working. Then I connected the mid's and I could feel the 4" work. I am not sure if the tweeter was working though. I could hear a few highs but not like when the tweeter was working.

What do you think I should do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 817
If one set is sounding definitely different to the other then you need to find the amplifier or passive crossover that is splitting the signal.

If it's a passive crossover just bypass it, if it's an amplifier I need more information on it.

Also what is your car model, year.. etc.

Post Number: 3
Yes one set is definitely sounding different.

I believe it is an amplifier from what I have read. Do I need to try to bypass that too?

My car is a bmw e36.. 1996 328i.

I seem to have the best sound if I connect the 2 sets together, but you said not to so I won't. Just for my information, can you tell me why?

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
The reason is that each channel is playing different signals so if connected together you have current flowing from one channel to the other, that can lead to damage to the amp short or long term and also it will not perform well since is not only the speaker is loading a channel but also the other channel.

If it is a passive crossover then bypassing the crossover is the way to go.

Your best bet would be to talk to some one familiar with that stock system if you don't want to disassemble everything and check for yourself.

If I can find something on it I will let you know.

Post Number: 4
Ok, thank you.

I will disassemble it and check out what I have. The sound does sound a little distorted if i mix the 2 too, so i think your idea is the best option.

Silver Member

Post Number: 822
Ok johnny got some infos for you:

Upload

Upload

You are looking at the connectors on your amp (harman/kardon - which is supposed to be on one side of the trunk) you have a number of inputs that are marked as "(from radio)" and a number of outputs, but as you can see thet are all either for mid or for tweeter (or woofer on the second connector), none of the outputs are full range. Therefore it seems that you are not going to be able to connect full range speakers from it's outputs so you are left with a few options:

1) exchange your full range speakers for "compatible" separate component speakers.
2) get the full range signals from the HU at the amp's first connector and apply that signal to an aftermarket amplifier and then to your new speakers. this is supposed to be done like this for the rear speakers as follows:

Upload

As you can see it is not an easy job and I don't have any information to make suggestions, specifically:

1) I don't have the crossover frequencies the amplifier uses to suggest proper components.
2) I don't have the voltage levels that the HU provides to the amp although I don't think that would be a problem.

So let me know what you wish to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us