Amp troubles: on light flickers

Anonymous

the amp for my subs only works when the volume on the HU is only at 1/3. any higher than that and the amp doesnt work. when i do turn up the volume though, the green power light flickers until i turn it up even higher then it just goes out. the red protection light never comes on. the amp just stops playing and the green light flickers and goes out. anyone know why its doing this. is the amp messed up or is it something else? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 247
What kind of wire gauging do you have? How strong is the alternator?

Unregistered guest
I have a friend that has the same problem, im not sure what gauge wire he has but it is very thick wire should be more than enough.

Anonymous

most of the power wire is 4 guage, until it splits into 2 8 guage wires at the d-block. im not sure how strong the alternator is, but the lights dim when the bass hits, so im sure its not strong enough. (i have an 88 f-150) if that helps any.

i checked the power and ground wires; everything is good. i then hooked up just the amp that pushes my 2 6x9s. it plays good at about half volume. any higher than that and the bass distorts and lowers in volume dramatically. i have had my system hooked up for more than 6 months and it just started doing this. could this mean a bad battery or alternator? what other problems do you think it could be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Yes, the alt or the batt could be gone. I would do like this:
1 - Disconnect all connections without removing wires.
2 - Try to remove all terminals by hand, pulling them from the wires, if you find one you can remove, you found the prob.
3 - Also check the contacts for corrosion signs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4219
the amp going into protect mode at volumes above 'low' usually indicates that the amp is wired at a load below it's stable rating, such as 2 ohms bridged, or 1 ohm stereo.
check the impedance of the speakers you're using, and how they're wired to the amplifier.

that'd be my first thought.
after that, I'd check line voltages at the amp when it's shutting off.
make sure your gains on the amp aren't turned ny higher than half way. usually no higher than 1/4 of the way up as this will induce clipping and also shut the amp off.

Anonymous

the red protection light never comes on though. the amp just either turns off or comes on and off rapidly. ive had my gains set at 2 volts i believe which is about half way up. it was set up like this for about 6 months. does any of this sound like common battery or alternator problems? do you think it might be the REM wire? i thought that just turns the amp on; i didnt think it depended on volume, but im not sure. does this help any?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4234
sounds more like a loose connection somewhere..

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
When it shuts off, shunt the power and remote wires at the amp, see what happens. If it starts working, it's the remote terminal. If it doesn't, like Glass says, loose connection somewhere.

Anonymous

aight it must have been somethin loose cause i went through the whole system and took everything apart and put it back together and now its fine

thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us