Amp fuse amperage.

Username: Mang0ra1n

Post Number: 1
Hello!
I have recently acquired a Logic ABX1002 Amplifier and a Dual BP1204 Subwoofer. I have no knowledge(googled around a bit) of this subject so here is my question/situation.
I am planning on having a little house party for the friends for a 3-4 hours and I was wanting to use these with my home theater system. I have found a solution to powering the Amp itself. I will be using a PSU that produces(not sure if im using the right terminology) 12A per +12V. My question is will this method be sufficient to powering the amp and using the subs? and my other question is: If the PSU produces 12 Amperage per +12V will it be appropriate to change the "30A fuse" on the amplifier to a 15A fuse?

Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 571
Welcome to Ecoustics.

Your amp is 500W RMS or so they say:

500/12x0.75 = 55A

So you need a 55 ampere at 12V power supply to drive that amp at full power, it would need to be a:

660 Watt power supply.

Username: Mang0ra1n

Post Number: 2
ahh okay! I just read and learned a lot more! and I have one more question.. since i have a 30A fuse on the amp and the power supply is pumping 55A, it will NOT run at full power? or can i compensate it with more watts?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 574
Ok, some cheap amplifiers are overrated so if you know for a fact that is the original fuse then your power supply would only need to be:

P = 12x30 = 360W

Since many power supplies are also overrated try to find a 500W power supply for safe operation.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14558
no a computer power supply will not work at high volumes.
you really need to use an AC to DC power supply rated for a minimum of 60+A continuous, and use one designed for sustained high current use.

computer PSUs and car batteries are a good way to start a fire or kill yourself with hydrogen gas.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us