Oh no!! The lights are dimming!

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 52
So, got my systems installed. The Rockford 1001bd pro running a jl w3v3 13.5", the gain is set pretty high on the amp. Also have a Rockford P400-4 going to the mids/highs....which are stock 3-way components, a 6.5 3.5 and tweeter separates in the front, and 2or3-way coaxial 6x9's in the back. My HU is a premier 980bt. The lights are dimming, not so bad, I can only really turn the stereo up to 35-40 before I start going deaf from the highs, but when I have the lights on at night you can really see them dimming from the subwoofer hitting....gimme some options that are feasible...I don't know how nor do I want to do the big-3 myself so I would have to pay a stereo shop to do it. I thought about a capacitor, but you guys have said that that is just a band-aid. I was thinking about a better battery, a stinger or yellow top something like that? but would that do it alone? would I have to get a HO alternator? My thinking is if I get a HO alternator, I don't think I need that much more power for what I got going on, maybe just the new battery would do it? Lemme know what you think oh masters of car audio!

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 536
If you have the 2 ohm version of the JL Audio 13W3v3 and 4 ohm speakers then the peak current draw is:

1000/14.4x0.85 + 200/14.4x0.70 = 105A

If you have the 4 ohm version: 500/14.4x0.85 + 200/14.4x0.70 = 64A

If I remember right you have a 1996 Lexus es300 with a 80-90A alt.

Your stock electrical system should hold but on limit with the 2 ohm version of the sub. I hope you don't use your audio with the car turned off too much or use it all the time at high output.

You may want to have your alternator, its connections and battery checked. The battery could be replaced with something more appropriate for car audio use like an Optima or the likes.

In cases like yours where the alternator is expected to meet your energy requirements a capacitor can help with the dimming a bit but you should thoroughly check the above before considering this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
yea, I will get it checked out. I'm thinking about changing the battery anyway, get a stinger 925....but I got a diagnostic the other day and the mechanic didn't say anything about the battery or alternator. I'm going to take it to another place and get a second opinion before I get any work done. I do play it at pretty high volume, plus both my amps are pretty underrated, but I don't think to the extreme that this is. the dimming isn't super bad, but noticable, and when playing if I push the button to lower the windows you will see them dim too. Taking it to a different mechanic this weekend for sure. It needs work for sure, just gotta find out what exactly before I start going and getting all this other stuff taken care of...oh yeah and it is the 4ohm version of the w3v3...i'm wanting to add another 13.5" later on so I want to get everything prepped for this, so I'm definitely getting a deep cycle battery....thanks again guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
curious about dynamat, and other deadeners....what are your opinions? is it good? does it make the stereo sound better? what's the deal with it. is there one brand better then another?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 550
Glasswolf provided recently this link to a guy looking for Dynamat altrnatives:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Deadeners will do the following:

1) prevent things from rattling inside your car.
2) reduce road noise to some extent.
3) increase SPL up to by 3dB since energy is not lost in vibration.

I guess that it's most important for guys powering hard on the thousands of watts and for SPL competition purposes since most rattles can be stopped with some effort.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14545
in regards to the lights dimming, see the "electrical" section here:
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us