More speakers needed or overkill?

Username: Madmike5spd

West Point, PA USA

Post Number: 1
My car: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta w/ Monsoon sound system. I'm keeping the HU so I'm converting the speaker outs to RCA's.

What I already have to go in:
*Lanzar Vibe 750S DSP, 7 band EQ, and sub X-over
*Phoenix Gold Octane-R 500Wx4
*Phoenix Gold Octane-R 500Wx1 Monoblock sub amp
*Phoenix Gold Octane-R 6.5R 6 1/2" Components
*Audiobahn 6.5" 3-ways
*Adire Audio 12" Shiva Mark IV
*4 gauge ground wire to distribution block
*4 gauge power wire to distribution block
*8 gauge ground and power wires to the amps.

Now... I'm afraid of having too much bass and I really don't want to leave my rear-out from the HU unused (lanzar only takes on set, so I'm using the fronts). So would it be too much to use the set of stock 3-ways from the car and get a cheap 100wx2 amp connect it to the rear out from the HU and throw them on the rear deck?

Also, I'm using the stock remote turn on wire from the stock monsoon 200wx8 amp to turn on all the other amps, but is their a special way to hook it up too all those amps? I heard just splitting it 3 ways could fry the HU.

Lastly, what do you guys think of my system? It's not the best of the best - but it's in my price range (under $800 for everything) and it's good quality from what I heard.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 834
That's enough as it is. I wouldn't add any more than 4 speakers in a car, phase will become a problem. I don't run anything but front components in mine. The bass should be about right, and won't be overbearing as long as the components are good enough to keep up with it (and yours should be). Are you sure that 500x4 amp you posted above is really that, or is it a typo or a peak value? As far as the system, pretty good, there is different I would have gotten with 800 bucks, but not bad stuff.

West Point, PA USA

Post Number: 2
It's 500wx4 peak with all 4 channels added together. o its about 125w peak at 4 ohm.
hxxp://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-ramps.html
Phoenix Gold 5.0:4 (about 70w rms per channel).

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 260
why would you keep that ugly stock HU that was the first thing to go in my GTI. Let me know the shiva sounds.

West Point, PA USA

Post Number: 4
6cd changer, stock look, phatbox, and cellphone through stereo. Oh, and the final thing - if my wife found out I bought almost $1k of stereo equipment she would castrate me. Even though I bought her the brand new $40k volvo she wanted.

The shiva's sound awesome. I had it in my Saturn. no distortion, just you need to be careful, they can't take the "newb in a civic playing busta rhymes at max volume" stupidity. (No offense to the smart civic people or busta rhymes fans).

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 270
well i guess thats a good reason haha. good luck with all that let me know how it sounds. As of right now im looking into the subs next year will be new speaker but im sure i know what i want. Its that whole price tag that stops me

West Point, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Bang and Qaulity per buck, I really don't think that you can do much better than Phoenix Gold. Especially with the prices on Ebay for brand new stuff with warrenties. I am however, not skimping on wiring (expensive monster cable and other high end cables). because with time I will upgrade speakers (one set at a time) to highest end ones. MB Quart, Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, Acoustics Research, etc.. Eventualy I will upgrade to a Adire Brahma Extreme 15" sub ($995). The amp's I am not too worried about, from my experience and ho sensitive my ears are, I can't tell a difference between amps (unless the amp is a POS or shot). From what I've seen, you can make any sound system sound stellar if you take the time and patience to plan it out, do lots a research and ask lots of questions. I also look at what other people have and what drove them to get what they got.

Some little tips I picked up along the way:
* Peel & Seal or Dynamat extreme applied correctly
* good power (Otima redtop battery)
* good grounds with solid connections
* well ran and insulated wires
* well insulated & high quality speaker wire
* good seal on all speaker mountings (especially subs)
* 3/4" MDF board or acoustical polymer ($$$$$$$ and overkil IMHO) for sub enclosure
* Sealed or Ported over bandpass anyday.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 279
Yeah right now im gonna drop two 10 in oz audio subs ni the back and wait till next year to put some MB Quart speakers in the doors with some good dynamating.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us