3-ohm loads and good math

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 284
Okay, question for you bassophiles. I bought a setup off of someone who needed money and got all (good) paperwork.

* (2) JL 12w6 (custom sealed enclosure)
* (1) Alpine MR-V12 1505 (150x2 @ 4)
* (1) F cap

Okay, so the 12w6 are DVC, 6-ohms/coil. So, series coils and parallel subs means a 6-ohm load. OR, parallel-parallel means a 1.5-ohm load.

He had this system professionally installed (to the tune of $1400)... but I can't for the life of me figure a "good" way of having them wired that wouldn't be putting undue stress on the amp.

Any thoughts?

-Matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Oh, forgot to say that if it were wired parallel coils then straight to the amp channels, how does the amp handle the 3-ohm load?

-Matt

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4194
3 ohm load.
take the 4 ohm rated power, and the 2 ohm rated power, and find the point half way between.
there's your 3 ohm power rating.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 836
Well, since it's a 2 channel, your only option is to hook one sub to each channel and give each channel a 3 ohm load. If the amp doubles it's power at 2 ohms like it should, then each sub will get 225 watts RMS. Strange setup indeed, and underpowering the subs. Are they W6's or W6v2's?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 837
By the way, the amp will have no trouble handling a 3 ohm load on each channel, since it's stable down to 2 ohms per channel.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4199
oh yeah. 2 channel amp.
*yawn*
I wasn't paying much attention. too bored today.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 839
Know what ya mean, lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
I was mostly wondering because I can't recall an amp giving specifics on 3-ohm loads and didn't know if any of the "load-detecting" amps would have a problem dealing with it.

They are straight W6s. I've actually got a stockpile of stuff now to sell and didn't want to rip anybody off.

Current inventory:
* (2) JL 12W6 (in enclosure)
* (1) Alpine MRV1505 (I'm replacing a terminal on this one, so won't have it operable for another week or so)
* (1) MMats SQ2125
* (1) MMats SQ2150
* (1) Audio Control EQT
* (1) Audio Control EQL13
* (2) Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 (SVC)

Most of it is new (in box). When/if I sell this stuff, I'll be doing my upgrades (either the Focal or Dyn 3-ways).

-Matt

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4204
there's no "load detecting."
it's simply a matter of ohm's law.
voltage is fixed, load is relatively static, current caries based on voltage and load.
if the sub is 3 ohms, the amp puts out the corresponding amount of power unless its an amp like the JL slash series with a regulated power supply and output stage.
then the amp puts out the same power regardless of load.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4205
there's no "load detecting."
it's simply a matter of ohm's law.
voltage is fixed, load is relatively static, current varies based on voltage and load.
if the sub is 3 ohms, the amp puts out the corresponding amount of power unless its an amp like the JL slash series with a regulated power supply and output stage.
then the amp puts out the same power regardless of load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us