New Speaker Damage with Stock Head-Unit

Username: Culrich87

Post Number: 2
Help.... I just installed some aftermarket Alpine Type E 6x9's in my car with a stock head-unit. After installing and doing some testing I noticed one of the speakers cones tore on the outer rubber part. This also happened to another aftermarket Alpine Type S 6 1/2 inch speaker... Did I install them wrong? is there any reason why this could have happened. They are rated at 300 watts and 75 watts RMS... Ugh.... Help, anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 399
You need to be more specific, what car, what happened step by step, what tests, how you connected, did you went loud, did you try to put back the stock speakers.. etc..

Post Number: 3
I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan with a Stock Head-Unit. The car has 6 speakers, 4 of which are installed.

two Factory 6x9 Front Door
two Factory 6x9 Rear Pannel
two Empty spaces for 6 1/2' in Front Dash

I installed 6 1/2' Alpine Type S in Front Dash
& Alpine 6x9 Type E in Rear Panel.

I removed and cut the original speakers from the harness.
Upload

Then I spliced the new Speaker harness/wire onto the Vans Speaker cable.
Upload

Then used Electrical tape to keep wires stable.
Upload

I did this same process to the 6 1/2' speakers in the front dash.

I then screwed everything in and turned the FM radio on to various stations testing the sound quality. I also hooked up and I pod tape deck thing and tested my ipod using different equalizer settings
and volumes. I kept the treble and bass settings at MAX and then used the Fade and Balance knobs to test the speakers individually adjusting the volume to around or about Max on each speaker. Everything sounded fine I and believe I hooked up the speakers to the correct positive and negative polarities. However I may have reversed them, I'm not sure... After closer inspection of the speakers I noticed the speakers on the Left side of the car: One 6 1/2' & One 6x9' both suffered a small tear in the rubber lining on the outside of the cone.

I also thought I smelt a slight burning oder from the 6 1/2"s on the front dash...

I removed the speakers from my car and am now trying to figure out my problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
Well, inverting polarity on the speakers can't damage them.

Sometimes power is not completely balanced on a cheap HU like stock HUs.

You ran the tests with the covers of the original speakers installed???

Post Number: 4
I ran the tests with new speakers not the original one. And yes they did have the speaker covers on them... Do you think they hit the coverscausing damage?

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Yes you haven't done anything wrong in the install that I can see, I suspect that your left channel may be a little stronger so the suspension did hit the covers since you cranked the bass to the top.

You should either avoid bass (which is a bad idea) or change the covers for the Alpine's which at least will be easy on the rear deck.

And I really don't like stock head units, if you ever see the chance I would recommend upgrading, the Alpines will sound much better.

Post back if you run into trouble or have any questions.

Post Number: 5
I'm going to try to reinstall everything next week once I figure out if I can get an exchange on my speakers that are damaged. I'm also going to put my old Head unit back in as well.

I have an Alpine CDA-9827 head unit that is about 6 years old or so... It's still in working order, just needs a new wiring harness. I might take a shot at putting it back in or just head to BestBuy and let them do it....

I have a feeling I somehow either damed the cones on the speakers myself or
they were damaged from hitting the speaker grills... I don't see any
other way unless they were just defective....

Do you think my method of splicing the wires together with just the electrical tape will provide the same sound quality if soldered?

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
Ok Christopher, seems like a good plan to me.

Who knows what happened for sure but you would have a 25% chance of placing both damaged speakers on the left side and less if you factor in other reasons.

You should definitely solder if you can just to make sure that in the long term the connection stay solid.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14522
if you tore the surround on two speakers, it's most likely that the speaker is hitting something during it's excursion. Probably the speaker grille (factory one) or a screw, plastic flange, or similar, which is tearing the speaker during use.

Post Number: 6
Thank you guys for the help , I really appreciate it .

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5602
Yeah, my guess is what Glasswolf said. I mean...I've done it before.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us