What's a Channel?

Username: Cissy2u2

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 1
Trying to understand what I will need.
Is a channel in the sense of 2 channel or 4 channel, like a seperate and complete 'vein' of all the sounds? If so, then 1 channel will drive 1 set of speakers for highs and lows, a second channel will run a second set of speakers for all the sounds, right?
Now, what about component speakers-- do the tweeters need a channel and the mid range need a channel and the crossovers need a 3rd channel?
If you don't feel like getting into the science of it all, just tell me what/how to hook up to work best with what I have:

Alpine 9820xm head unit (50w x 4)
2 sets of CDT 6x coax's
CDT 5 1/4" mid range (given to me free)
CDT front stage image tweeters w/ attenuator
Polk ex2550 5 1/4" component speakers
PPI 225w 2 channel amplifier(given to me free)

I would like to use The CDT's coax and mid range, but will the polk crossovers work with them?
And, if I need more than 2 channels, which channels should I run thru the head unit and which thru the Amp?

Also, nobody seems to know for sure without opening it up... does the 2003 honda civic have
6 1/2" or 5 1/4" speaker holes in the front and rear?

Gee, I thank you if you can straighten this all out!
Always,
Cissy

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 133
"Is a channel in the sense of 2 channel or 4 channel, like a seperate and complete 'vein' of all the sounds? If so, then 1 channel will drive 1 set of speakers for highs and lows, a second channel will run a second set of speakers for all the sounds, right?"

To answer this, basicall you are right from what it seems. One channel is generally used (in terms of speakers) to power one speaker. Meaning that it will usually power one coaxial speaker. So per say if you were using 4 coaxial speakers in your civic, you would be best off with a 4 Channel amplifier.

"Now, what about component speakers-- do the tweeters need a channel and the mid range need a channel and the crossovers need a 3rd channel? "

I'm assuming you're looking at a 2 way component set. For these, it will come with both a midrange and a tweeter driver. Each set of tweeters and midrange should come with their own passive crossover. The cross over should be considered as the channel. Therefore, one component speaker(1 tweet and 1 mid) is considered to be on ONE ch. So most component sets (2 tweets and 2 woofs) will require a 2 ch amplifier.

As for your systems... I recommend that you throw the coaxial speaker in the rear. I would also power it using the headunits output, because you're not going to want to have the same amount of power running to the rear speaker as you will the fron ones as to create the sound stage. Also, you may want to consider getting an in-line cross over and limited the rear coaxial speaker to below 3000 hz as to only allow to to be the "rear fill" of the system.

I can't tell from your parts list, but if you have a full CDT component set (ie 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and the matching crossover) then you'll want to get a 6 1/2 adapter and use the 5.25's in the front. If the midrange of the cdt is separate from the tweeter(ie their own individual set) I recommend not using them because their not per say mated to each other, and I'd just install that polk audio component set you have over the CDT. Then you're going to want to run those off that 2 channel amplifier of yours.

I'm sure Glasswolf has a link for setting up the gains on ure amp(but make sure their done right!)

Finally... your civic has 6 1/2's in both the front and rear deck assuming you have the '03 Sedan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us