Need help Problem with 6x9 humm

Username: Ryanpowens

Conneaut, OH United States

Post Number: 1
Okay so i installed everything myself and before you say anything i am not a professional but i have installed stereo systems before in other vehicles of mine just like this one. So i have a pioneer premier head unit and a 2 channel 70w rms soundstream amp wired at 4 ohms to 2 kicker 6x9s rated at 70w rms 4 ohms. The amp is powered by 0 gauge and i have also done the big 3 the amp is grounded on the rear strut which i heard was the best ground and the big 3 on the front strut. The speaker wire is 16 gauge regular speaker wire and i have the amp wired to the high pass thing that comes with it, it was pretty self explanatory ummm. Lets see what else the ground from the high pass thing is grounded to the car and another wire is ran to hook in to the headunit ground. But the problem i am having is that when the key is turned to acc or to on or started and the volume is at 0 i hear this loud high pitched not ear screeching but it is pretty annoying its a loud hum or buzz its more of a ehhhhhhhhhhhhh if that helps at all lol. But i have checked every ground on the car and i dont want to install a filter...... i want to fix it the right way so does anybody have any ideas? i heard that pioneers need to have the rca housings grounded or something like that but im up for suggestions. thank you for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 377
Could be Pioneer's infamous picofuse issue, just unplug the RCAs from the amp that powers the 6x9s and turn on the car, if you hear nothing the noise is HU related so 2 things can most likely be:

1) the RCAs damaged or improperly routed.
2) the picofuse issue!!

Do you have a multimeter at hand?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14520
try turning down the gain on the amplifier

Post Number: 2
i do have a multimeter on hand lol and i had the amp gain all the way down and it was still there I have a second pair of rca's but im not using rca's i have it run through the hi pass filter thing so its using factory wiring hooked to the head unit

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Hi level inputs rather, and you do that with stock head units that have no RCA outputs, why would you be doing that??

Anyways if you disconnect those inputs do you still hear noise?? or it's silent.

Post Number: 3
if i disconnect the high level inputs it is silent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
If when the car is on and any signal inputs are disconnected you have no noise then the noise is HU related.

I would test for the picofuse issue with a multimeter in continuity mode you measure resistance between the RCAs ground and the chassis of the head unit, if resistance is not zero you have the picofuse issue.

If that's not it I would try to connect to the amplifier through RCAs.

If still the noise shows up you need to tightly ground the chassis of the head unit to some solid ground from any metallic part bolted to the body of the car.

You can test in whichever order makes the most sense to you.

Post Number: 4
So i just ran some new RCA's and that seemed to do the trick took the high pass thing out completely i also grounded out the RCA ports on the back of the head unit heard that was a problem with pioneer head units will post pic if any1 wants to see it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Yes, that issue is what I was talking about in my previous post, grounding the negative terminal of the RCAs bypasses the blown internal fuse, a pretty good job needs to be done to completely silence the noise, if you got rid completely of the noise then problem solved, if you still hear some noise and want to get rid of it, that can also be tried.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14532
and set your gain properly on the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us