Car alternator

Jr Mans
Unregistered guest
How do I know if my stock alternator will be able to handle my sound system?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4112
if you turn on the stereo, and your voltage rails sag or lights dim.. the alternator is too weak.

Unregistered guest
All right, i got a classic 1964 ford Custom coupe. Everything works prime now, but i just installed 2 12" infinity ref's 300w rms each and a 15" 600w rms sub. Powering these will be a 1000w x4 bridgable amp with 250w to each of the 12's and 500w to the 15". My car doesnt even have an alternator, it has a "generator", which is an extremely primitive form of the same basic part. I have some experience with cars and electronics so im guessing it puts out like 30-40 amps. I know i need a H/O alt but i need to know where to find one from my car and what amperage to run. My guess is somewhere from 120 amp + alt? plz help

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4236
if the amp is putting out 1Kw, yeah that's around 120A at full output.
try www.4alterstart.com for an alternator. tehy may need to build a custom one for ya but if anyone can do it, they can.

Unregistered guest
all right, thanks wolf. One more thing...
For my 1000w amp, i bought an 8g wiring kit, which i know is not sufficient. Well, i work at a hardware store and we sell 4g wire, so do you think the kit should be all right if i buy some 4g for the ground and power cables and keep the rest of the kit?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 921
2 awg or 0/1 would be better even than 4 awg

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4244
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums