Maybe a dumb question!!

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 838
Okay, I want to run 8" mid bass, if I do so do I run in the hp range, or in lp range on the amp? I have a pair of Alpine 12" in the rear of a SUV, and have components in the front. I think I need some mid fill??? Or should I be looking for mid range?? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 306
Subs + components many times require midbass drivers, you need to bandpass them, 60-70Hz to 120-180Hz and let the component set handle from there up. You usually need a 3 way active crossover to have this done. There are other cheap ways to accomplish that but I would not recommend.

Depending on the quality of your system you could just get a cheap $50 crossover to get the job done.

8" midbass drivers will do the best job in this case.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 839
Any ideas for the crossover, and what are some good mid-bass, and how would you set that up?? Thanks and sorry not to good at getting a system right, I know amps, and subs, the rest is kind of greek to me. Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Ok Jack list your current components, so that I can suggest as cost effective as possible but without downgrading the sound quality of your system.

Also which is the exact vehicle you have.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 840
Ok, I have a 1998 ford Explorer. I have components in the front, 5x7's they are Rockford's. In the back of the truck next to the gate I have 2 12" alpine Type R's in a vented box. I use 2 amps at the present, and the rear speakers are not working because there is no room in the door panels to mount them, and no way to fabricate something, so whatever I do for fill I will have to put in a box, sealed or vented for mids. Thanks for all the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
There are many solutions but I am trying to keep it cheap and to give you some ideas:

First check if your speakers are properly crossed, that is LPF on the sub to 50-60Hz and HPF on the speakers to the same frequency as the LPF.

If that does not work here are some cheap solutions:

For a cheap crossover take a look at this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23086_Autotek-ATK2-3X.html

For cheap mid bass speakers:

These need to go in a door not in a small box:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13945_MB-Quart-PVI-164-PVI164.html

Now, If you can get some 6"x9" or 8" coaxes in boxes and bandpass them with the crossover you can also get good mid bass.

If you don't mind highs in the back you can just use HPF on the amp and set it set to 60Hz and skip the crossover.

There are also high quality mid bass drivers for this but prices are higher. Let me know if you want to consider those.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 841
Yes, let me know if there are other mid bass or mid range speakers. Those speakers you showed won't fit in the door, that's my problem. And I am not sure what else to do. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
You can try 2 of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-355

Along with a crossover like the one in my previous post.

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
If you don't mind paying a little more this is a 4 ohm version:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-374

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 842
So would those go in a box? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
Most of these speakers are designed to work in an infinite baffle setting like the rear deck of a car or on the doors, it is possible to run them in 0.8-1.0 cubic feet sealed enclosures without major issues high passed at 60-70 Hz

The best you can do is use winisd software on various of them to see the response against the size of the box.

If your speakers amp is below 100W RMS per channel use the 4 ohm version.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 843
Ok, thanks for all the help Joe!! Would this work for a box--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATREND-8DQ-8-DUAL-SEALED-CAR-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/350398549135

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14499
short answer, OP:
To run midbass drivers, you need a bandpass filter, so you'll either need to combine your ehad unit's raer output crossover set to highpass, with your amp's filter set to lowpass to combine them, or just get an external electronic crossover to do the job of running a 4-way network.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14500
oh, or build your own passive filter networks for each speaker using caps and chokes

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
No Jack, when you don't have space for speakers in a car you usually install them in kick panels:

Upload

That could fit the MBquarts I suggested earlier. When you can't find ready made kick panels then a fiberglassing job is required.

Apparently you can install 6"x8" speakers instead of 5"x7" that would help midbass so you should consider that option as well, I think some shallow mounted 6"x9" could be adapted there That should be your first choice.

Talk to an installer to check options.

The box you are looking at can't fit 7" drivers, midbass drivers should be mounted separately on each side of the car (left, right) not together like subs.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 844
Okay, thanks again guys!!

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 845
Would a 5x7 be worth getting to fill the back? Any brands come to mind? Sorry this is a pain, lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
You could get more sound but no more midbass at all.

Now check 6"x8" that are made to fit 5"x7" locations:

This can go low as 40Hz:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12262_JBL-P8662.html

This can go low as 30Hz (I don't think so but will go low):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11270_Pioneer-TS-D6802R.html

The rockfords can only get 60-75 Hz so the above will help a bit for sure.

Research compatibility. Hope this helps.

Almost forgot you should power them with an amp not the HU just in case you are doing that.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 846
Yes I would do so with an amp, thanks Joe for the suggestions, I have some work to do now. Out of here on this subject. Thanks a ton for all the help, means a lot!!!

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14504
try to stick to a medbass driver in back, with a bandpass filter, if you want rear fill drivers. It'll give the best results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us