Crunch vs. planet audio. which is better

Username: Bigbass

Post Number: 2
ok so i currently have a crunch gpv1000.1 2 channel amp powering my two bridged out jl 10's i always forget the type but their like 4 5 years old and still pound, anyways i just got a planet audio tq400.1 2 channel monifest amp or some thin like that and i was wondering which of the two amps i should use with my JL's? ive herd planet aud. is way better but not sure which amp will hit harder??? any thoughts???

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1221
The models of the amplifiers you listed are the Planet Audio TQ402 and Crunch P1 1000.2. Overall, I would personally go with the TQ402.

Post Number: 4
i wasnt sure becuase i would have thought the crunch would deliver more power and i always thought p.a. was a bit cheap but than again crunch isnt exactly top of the line either

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1222
The Crunch P1 1000.2 based their specs on "MAX" Watts instead of "RMS" Watts, unlike the Planet Audio TQ402.

Both are not CEA-2006 Compliant, nor are they top of the line equipment.

I can't say i've personally used either of these products, but I would still go with the TQ402 because of the first statement above.

Post Number: 5
alright well i have both amps and the planet is already wired up so i could just test and compare results but thanks for the advice much appreciated

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1223
Yea, why not if you have both. Just make sure you are setting your gain levels correctly to avoid any damage.

Post Number: 6
ya its a pain getting the gain and every thing tuned, i eventully want to get the dash mount cross over with clipping indicator

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 182
i would think tha planet audio but since ur hookin it up 2 see ild like to hear ur verdict so please tell

Post Number: 7
that i can do

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 185
have u hooked it up yet? which one was better?

Username: Gold_member

Post Number: 2
I have a 4000.8 watt planet audio I'm telling you I replaced my reglass 2 times I had 2 1400 watt crunch and they have nothing on my planet audio

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1845
Your post might have been more useful in 2011 lol.

I dislike both brands but I would probably go for planet audio if I had to choose.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14864
if the amp works for you, it's fine. amplifiers shouldn't hve a "sound." They should be transparent, not affecting the input signal in any way but to increase the amplitude on the other side. If an amplifier "sounds" better to you than another one, you have a problem with one of the two amps. All the specs like THD, SNR, etc, are far, far below human hearing thresholds, and really don't typically make any real world practical difference, except on paper. Power is also by far the least efficient way to increase volume, since it takes twice the power to add even +3dB, and ten TIMES the power to audibly double the volume, which equates to an increase of +6 to +10dB. People also often confuse power handling specs of a speaker (a thermal rating that only tells you how much heat a voice coil can handle without physical damage) with how much power a speaker really needs to reach full extension (usually considerably less than the rated power handling spec) and forget that the power needed to reach full output depends on a number of factors including the T/S specs of the drivers, the enclosure used, and the vehicle cabin environment (sound damping, cubic feet of air volume in the cabin, etc)

In short, "which amp is better" threads really don't have much point. buy the amp you like and can afford that offers the amount of power you need at the load you'll be presenting. buy an amp from a company with a reputation for decent build quality and it should last you for years to come.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1849
Really with cheap amps is all about reliability and how far the power specs are overrated. PA likely fares better in both.

SQ altogether is irrelevant for most users these days.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14868
Stick with CEA2006 or IEEE specs for amplifiers, and you should be OK in regards to rated specs. Better amplifiers will offer benefits like more dynamic headroom due to better power supplies, and the like, but as far as how they "sound" you really shouldn't hear a difference with any amplifiers unless you're comparing solid state to tube amps, which is a whole different can of worms when you start discussing even vs odd ordered harmonic distortion, and different amplifier topographies, but there are very very few tube amps in the car audio world.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us