What amp to use for 2 12"

J-dub bob
Unregistered guest
can someone help me find a amp that will power my 2 12" kenwood typhoon subs. they each have 400 RMS and 800 watt MAX.4 ohm subs. im looking to spend 250 dollars or less. also what is better mono or 2 channel amp bridged for my subs. plz help very confused!

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 343
Are those subs dvc or svc. 2 or 4 ohm.

j-dub bob
Unregistered guest
dvc.4 ohm subs

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 80
Well I got a kicker kx 800.2 on ebay for 257 bucks. Works awesome. It would be great for those subs.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 347
Run those subs at 1 ohm.

The hifonics bx1000 would be my choice. More is alwasy better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5710730142&rd= 1

Thats the one I would do. Thats the cheapest you will find it.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 342
Do what Jonez said get a Kicker KX800.2. Wire one sub to each channel. wire the subs parallel so you can get a 2ohm load to each channel. You could do what Davids said but running the amp at 1ohm will shorten the life of tha amp and you won't have any head room. The kicker is the better choice. Good Luck

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 348
Well jay-j you are correct but I ran an amp at 1 ohm for a while and never had any problems. I wouldnt be afraid to run an amp at 1 ohm as long as its capable. The hifonics will also be cheaper and get him more power.

j-dub bob
Unregistered guest
i was thinking about the lanzar 1600 watt 2 channel amp Is that too many watts for my subs?

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 352
Go with either the kicker or the hifonics I mentione. Either of those amps are perfect for your subs.

Anonymous

Go for the Kicker amp. Hifonics amps suck.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 354
Anonymous,

How did you draw the conclusion that hifonics amps suck. Please have something to back up your statement. If that was true why do people still buy then and they put out rated power. How dod they suck please let me know.

J-dub bob
Unregistered guest
thanx alot by the way is there another place i can buy that kicker amp besides ebay?

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 360
IMO I would go with the hifonics amps. Dont let anonymous talk you out of it he doesnt know what hes talking about. The hifonics will allow you go grow a little if you want new subs.

J-dub bob
Unregistered guest
ok so where can i get that hifonics amp besides ebay? cuz i dont like ebay anymore cuz i got ripped off on my headunit.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 361
www.thezeb.com

YOu can also pricematch at sounddomain and get a warranty on the item. When you bought your head unit was it from a good seller with high feedback.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 343
Well Davids I to HAVE to agree with Anonymous. Hifonics AND Lanzar are both sorry amps neither one of those will last as long as a Kicker. I'm sorry to disappoint ya but I have seen both amps Fail many times. Trust me I have a lot of friends that like to take cheap routes. The kicker will out proform either one of those amps in all standards. As a matter of fact I would take a JBL over hifonics anyday. J-dub take my advise go for the Kicker if you want quality. If you want crap that won't last go for the hifonics or lanzar. Your choice I hope you make the right one. Good Luck.

Davids heres a list made by Glasswolf take a look at it compare the Kicker with the Hifonics. Are if that doesn't do it ask Johnathan or Glass their opinions on the Hifonics and Kicker. I do think they will back me on the quality of Kicker against Hifonics. Peace

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 362
Your gonna pay alot more for the amp though if you dont get the amp off ebay but its up to you.

J-dub bob
Unregistered guest
ok thanx with the help davids2004 but know i have another question. i would like to keep my whole system the same brand like headunit,subs,speakers,amp. what brand whould you go with if you could do a complte system? cuz if i have to i can wait i good 2 years and make some money to get a good system. notin like $500 and up amps and $200 subs. just a good qulaity system

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 363
Well just to let you know price does not always reflect quality. I cant get the xtant A3001T for 130.00 shipped. Does that mean its not a high quality amp. NO. Does it mean it doesnt push its power. NO.

Ive seen that list by glass and that is only one persons opinion.

Here are 5 peoples revies on the hifonics amps. I know many many people who have the hifonics amp and it does what its suppose to do and thats make power.

I had never before heard a piece of HiFonics equipment until last Friday, and I must say I'm very impressed.
I built a custom downfiring enclosure for 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1's, which is all mounted in a Regular cab Silverado.
I listen to pretty much all rap, so I've really been pushing this amp hard. Where the amp is mounted, I can reach back and put my hand on the heatsink, it has never even been warm. I turn the volume and bass up as loud as I can stand, and I get no dimming headlights or anything (I do have a 1.0 farad cap). The blue lighted logo is a nice touch.
My favorite part is the remote bass control. I had the installer put the knob on an empty plate I had on my dash, and now I can turn the bass louder or quieter just as easy as I can change the music volume.
The only thing I wish I could do different is trade my 10's for 12's if I had the room. I can't even turn the amp up past half way right now, because it's absolutely pounding my subs and I'm scared I'll blow one.
The amp is 1 Ohm stable @ 1000w, but I'm only running at 2 Ohms which the manual says is about 700w.
Overall, I got a great price, a LOT more bass than I can use, and great sound. I'm overly pleased with HiFonics. :-)

------------------------------------------------
well i hooked up my 2 jl w6's to this thing and man i was really impressed how hard it pushed them they really make them sound a ot cleaner than the former amp i owned, the blue hifonics logo is a big bonus for this amp, overall i would like to say i honestly think this is one of the best amps out there
------------------------------------------------
Upon recieving this item today in the mail I was disappointed quite a bit, thinking I would recieve my 1000 watts rms. This amp is great don't get me wrong. But the specs on it are somewhat inaccurate. The BX1000D Brutus is said to pump 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. Afraid to tell you all this but it only pumps out 700 watts at 1 ohm, 400 at 2 ohms and 250 watts at 4 ohms (this is all stated withing the manual). This is still a solid amp and almost has no current draw whatsoever. I pump my 2 Rockford Power HX2's with them and my lights hardly dim. The amp is very sleek and the illuminations on the amp light up my whole trunk at night. The amp is very solid and looks great.
-----------------------------------------------
This amp will not disappoint you. I've had mine for about a week and I'm amazed how well this product works. Even though HiFonics isn't that well known, their products are definatly under-rated. I have this amp hooked up at 1 ohm to a 12 inch audiobahn Flame Compression sub and believe me it pounds. The bass remote they give you is just icing on the cake. Buy this amp from HiFonics and you won't be disappointed.
----------------------------------------------
The HiFonics Brutus is an awesome amp. It's sleek and clean, and I really dig the blue illumination. This website forgot to mention that it pushes 1000 watts x 1 at 1 ohm!!!! I have it hooked up to 2 AWC12T Audiobahns, and it pushes them SO hard. It's the best sounding amplifier I've ever owned, there's no noise or distortion, and the controls are really easy to use. Not to mention the 4 guage power and ground terminals. Definitely an awesome amp for serious subwoofers. HiFonics -- Power from the Gods. Literally.

So you can get the kicker and be happy and get the hifonics and be happy with that. In the end the decision is up to you.

Good luck.

j-dub bob
Unregistered guest
thanx alot im going with that hifonics amp and if i dont like it, i always have my neighbores to sell it to and i can try another amp so thanx alot to everyone.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 364
Let us know how it goes once you decide.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 365
Here are some more forums you can read on the hifonics amps.

http://powered4sound.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=483&highlight=hifonics

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1698&hl=hifonics

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1727&hl=hifonics

http://www.carreview.com/Amplifiers/Hifonics/PRD_173046_1806crx.aspx

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14434&SearchTerms=hifoni cs

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 366
Some more

http://maw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten?id=50939&q=hifonics

http://maw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten?id=51289&q=hifonics

just some forums to back my opinions.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 347
Davids I'm not going to sit here and act like kids fighting over a piece of candy. First of all how many years have you been in car audio?? (By this I MEAN installing systems from the ground up.)Second on that link I posted it is NOT just glass's opinions that topic is updated by lots of people. And even if it was just Glass's opinion I would take it ANY day over yours. Glass knows more about these products then me and you both thats what I RESPECT his opinions. You posted in the subwoofer section telling a guy to get a JBL 1200.1 for 2 12 Kicker CVRs (Which Bout away are 400watts RMS a piece) Now you tell me if hooking a JBL 1200.1 to 2 Kicker CVR 12s is a good IDEA. I know I DO NOT think so. Also if you want to post reviews on amps I think I can come up with A LOT more on the Kicker then you can come up with for that sorry @ss Hifonics. I done with this topic. PEACE

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 368
Go to any forum out there and you will find that they say more power is better. Subs are more likely to blow from underpowering a sub then over powering a sub. Im not saying he is wrong or you or wrong but im just stating what ive heard from people who install systems and such. Hifonics is not on the same level as audiobahn or lanzar. Its not top of the line stuff but for someone who doesnt want to spend alot of money and get an amp that pushes it rated power they work very well. Yes I did suggest a jbl 1200.1 for the kicker subs. As long as you are smart with your gains you will be fine. I know someone who was running a bd1000 to a L7 sub in a ported box which was 400 rms more than it called for. He pounded that sub every day and it lasted him a good 2 years before it blew up. So as you can see more power will not always hurt you just have to be more careful. Its better to have more power and sending a good clean signal to a sub rather thatn a clipped signal and melting the sub. Have a good day.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us