Mono block AMP for my Kicker 12" L7

Username: Lycannyc

Post Number: 1
I have a Kicker 11VS12L72 (box has a dual 4 woofer wired down to a 2 ohm load. So you want an amp that is 2 Ohm stable)

I've been looking online for a nice amp that will do 1000RMS Watts @ 2ohm. That way I don't need to have the amp working hard since the sub is 750RMS.

I was going to buy the Soundstream DTR1.1700D on sale for $188 but I read it requires extra good electrical and I think my stock is pretty stock. I have a Cadillac STS 2006 V6 w/ Factory Navigation I had a guy do some work on it so I can install an amp + sub and it looks like everything he was from the back (where the factory amp resides) thats where I see all the wiring from. Don't see anything from the front battery how I had in my other car (Toyota Avalon 2002) but anywho.

I saw soundstream requires 4ga wire and I dont know what I have, is it safe to go with that ? I have $40 certificate in amazon which I can use to buy a better brand amp my budget is $230 though.
Whats the difference between these 4ga, 2ga, and 0ga ? I am sorry for the noob questions.

Hope you guys can help me. I am open to any good brand that will do good for a daily driver (no competition). I have 15 speakers premium stereo Bose 300watts factory and can't wait to hear how the Kicker will hit for bass.

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 116
i have an l7 on a kenwood 9104d and it sounds pretty good. the amp itself is overrated but u wont have to upgrade ur electrical.it's loud enuff to make everything rattle in my car and rattles the windows @ the front of house when i'm in my driveway.

Post Number: 4
I am trying to get the amp by this week.
I am going the Amazon route w/ Audiosavings since they are in my state and they said if you purchase before 1pm it will ship same day. Delivery to NY residents is FREE and takes approx 1 business day!

So my options are in my budget line $250 + my $40 gift certificate I am going to use towards it

What should I get ? Hifonics HFI, BRZ, Quantum Audio, Re Audio, Kicker ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?page=2sort=-price&keywords=audiosavings

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1152
From what I can find, the 2006 Cadillac STS comes with a stock 155 Amp Alternator from the years 2005-2010 with the 3.6L V6 engine. This is more than enough to support a 1000 Watt RMS system.

The difference in the size of 4, 2, 0/1 and 0 Gauge is the thickness of the wire in diameter. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. For a 1000 Watt RMS system, 4 Gauge wire will do just fine.

As far as an amplifier goes on the link you provided, if you are looking for a budget amplifier, I would go with the MB Quart ONX1.500D. If you want the best amplifier, I would go with the RE Audio XTX3000.1.

Both amplifiers offer 1000 Watts RMS at 2 Ohms, so they will each give you the power you need.

Post Number: 5
Hey Joe, you're the best!
You've actually answered everything I been asking over and over in so many forums.
I can't thank you enough.

In my last post, the message didn't come out right but here's what I was trying to say. These amps are in my budget and I am going to buy them through amazon so I can use my $40 gift certificate towards it. I'm trying to get the amp by thursday or friday so audiosavings it is they ship to NY resident free and takes approx 1 business day.

Same price $179 (Not including my gift certificate)
- Hifonics Hfi1500d
4 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan. 2 ohms: 1000 watts x 1 chan. 1 ohms: 1500 watts x 1 chan.

- Hifonics Brutus Brz1200
4 ohms: 450 watts x 1 chan 2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan. 1 ohm: 1200 watts x 1 chan.

$199
- Us Amps Xt V3 Series Xt4000de

$213
- Hifonics Hfi2000d
4 ohms: 650 watts x 1 chan. 2 ohms: 1300 watts x 1 chan. 1 ohms: 2000 watts x 1 chan.

$230
- Re Audio Xt V3 Series Xt4000de

$249
- Hifonics Brutus Brz1700.1
4 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan. 2 ohms: 1200 watts x 1 chan. 1 ohm: 1700 watts x 1 chan.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1154
Out of the Amplifiers you posted above, the best option would be the Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1.

Once again, I would still suggest one of the Amplifiers I suggested above, but you can purchase what you want.

Post Number: 6
Thanks again Joe,

I found the RE Audio XTX3000.1 for $319 on amazon from audiosavings, thats way over my budget.
Plus that amp sounds a bit of an overkill for my Kicker L7 12" no ?

I can get the BRZ1700 in amazon for $250 shipped - $40 gift certificate but it says it requires an external 160A fuse how do I go about that? I dont even know where the current fuse in my car is located and/or the capacity

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
u have to fuse the power wire. cut wire place fusewithin around a foot from ur batt. i was thinkin about getting that amp a while back looked an looked could not find a 160 amp fuse someone on this site said use a 150 amp fuse.

Post Number: 7
I might have to go with the brz1200 then to be on the safe side.
dont know how much would a 160A fuse would cost me locally then.
I will ask my installer on thursday about what he did to my car and stuff to see if theres any fuse in the power wire or if he left it stock.

I went to the Cadillac forums and asked where is the fuse box, it looks like the guy who did my wiring was lazy and probably didnt add a bigger fuse. But I was told there are two fuse blocks located under the carpeting in the rear. Theres a fuse labelled AMP which should be 30A and there is another one in the same fuse block labelled REAR SHLF SPKR its like 15A and this is for the subwoofer.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1156
The RE Audio XTX3000.1 puts out 1000 Watts RMS at 2 Ohms which is exactly what you were looking for according to your first post.

As far as the Fuse goes on the Hifonics BRZ1700.1, you are going to have your Inline Fuse (within' a foot from your battery), plus another Fuse at the the Amplifier (within' a foot from the Amplifier).

If you only use an Inline Fuse, you run the risk of blowing your amplifier if the Inline Fuse every blows. A mistake well learned personally on my end when I used to have my Powerbass 1500.1D.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
thats a cool thing to remember. not cool ur amp blew but i thought u just needed the fuse by the batt. that is somthing ill remember.

Post Number: 8
Thanks Joe,

I did say I wanted 1000watts RMS @ 2ohms, but the XTX3000 is just way over my budget. I only have $250 to spend. I am going to buy the brz1200 now seems like the safe bet.

Thanks for explaining the fuse instructions for the Hifonics BRZ1700.1, seems like it'll be a bit more expensive to get the brz1700 since I'm gonna end up paying my installer to do all the fuse wiring and fuse amps.

The MB Quart ONX1.500D is not on amazon site under audiosavings.

So the brz1200 will do 1200 @ 1ohm stable and 900 watts rms @ 2ohm stable which its good too. I guess I'll get the brz1200 first since its so cheap and see how it goes.

Appreciate all your help once again.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1157
Right here Rob: http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Quart-Onx1-1500d-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B004S9D7WC

Post Number: 9
Thanks Joe,

Yes I saw that, but I need to get the amp by thursday or friday I am going on a road trip saturday morning. AudioSavings are located in NY and they offer Free Shipping to NY Resients and delivery is 1 business day approximately they said. So I had no other choice but to buy it from audiosavings store in amazon.

Item(s) Subtotal: $179.95
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $179.95
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $15.97
Gift Certificate/Card Amount: $44.59
-----
Grand Total: $151.33

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1158
Alright Rob, whatever you need to do to get the job done.

And to DLoco, if the only fuse needed was the Inline Fuse, then why are there Fuses on the Amplifiers themself? Gotta put the puzzle together man.

Post Number: 10
That makes a lot of sense Joe

You're the best!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us