Is this a good setup?

Username: Chevyboy91

Post Number: 1
im going to be building a new system for my 1997 2dr yukon.
on a bit of a budget so cant really afford super high quality
but im trying to have atleast decent sq but more spl

heres what i was thinking
4 qauntum audio Q10D4SPL
1 LANZAR VCT2610

any input would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Post Number: 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D400205183270

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D390297662770

heres the links to the subs an amp

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 71
That amp is seriously overrated. 6KW? sure.
That setup will make some loud noise nothing more.

If you want that kind of power look for class D amplifiers to save you money on electrical system upgrades.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14399
recommendations:
entry level head unit, or stock head unit with a line converter like the audiocontrol LCx or JL audio cleansweep or similar.

2 channel amp for front stage 50-90 watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohms

2-way component set for front stage

skip rear fill

largest amp you can afford

for subs, I suggest going with the largest subs you can feasibly use. go for cone area and excursion over quantity of subs.
example, use two 15s or two 12s instead of 4 10" subs.
even a single 18 or two.

Post Number: 3
i have a Kenwood KDC-HD545U CD Receiver
PIONEER GM-6400F 4-CHANNEL amp
pioneer 6.5 doors
an 4x9 pioneer in rear
just goin for new sub setup now since i sold my jbl's now time to upgrade

Post Number: 4
ok so im thinking of going with
2 ALPINE SWR-1542D
anyone know if these are any good?
an any amp suggestions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Chevyboy91 your stuff is appropriate for a SPL oriented system, if you are going for thousands of watts of bass power prepare yourself to spend a lot, the main issue is that your cars electrical system will need to be upgraded its not just the audio gear, dirt cheap amps and subs will lead to failures and may worsen the quality of your sound Id suggest to aim for a system at or below 1000W RMS at most which will easily get you some 140+dB enough to cause hearing loss. To better advice it is best to know which car you've got.

Post Number: 5
i drive a 1997 2 dr yukon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Ok, that's a large vehicle with a reasonably strong electrical system but because of its size you will need more power if you want to actually feel the SPL.

I say you should definitely go at least for two 15" subwoofers high excursion if possible. Select a ported enclosure for them not sealed for efficiency.

Also you will need at least a 1200W RMS class D power amplifier. Class D is around 90% efficient so that will avoid to some extent overloading your electrical system.

Your alternator is supposed to provide 100A (max) so depending on the use you give to the system you probably will not need any (serious) upgrade to your electrical system.

Since I don't know what kind of money you want to spend I will avoid any specific suggestions, just bear in mind that you can try getting second hand stuff.

Post Number: 6
i was told for the money SA's would be the better choice than the alpines

in your oppinion would you go with the Alpines, b stock SA 12's (150$), or B stock SA 15's(170$)

and any amp suggestions?

i was looking to spend 600$ for the subs & a amp before i budget for a box build and wiring but im beggining to think ill squeeze 700$ to give myself room for a better amp.

this is my first real build where ill be focusing on ohms, box tuning, an such..ive slapped together systems before with w/e i could get my hands on but i want to get into car audio and make it a career one day so this will be an example to put my skills to the test and learn a little as i go

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
First just take a look at what other people are doing:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/69285-96-gmc-yukon-2dr/

This is a true spl setup. The listed equipment is as follows:

Eclipse cd5000
six- Soundstream T5 12's in 13^ft tuned to 30.4hz,43.04hz, and 53.53hz soundoff
149.8 on TL in kick,150.0 SEALED in kick 147.8 SB4
3 RF T5002's--------------going to 3 Soundstream DTR1.3400D's
two- Stinger sp1000's----going to two- BATCAP 4000's
2 140 amp alternators---going to 300amp Ohio Generator
2 runs 1/0ga, big 3-------going to 4 runs 1/0g + and 3 runs 1/0g -
MB Quart QSD 6.5's in doors---soon to come

I will provide some suggestions within a $700 budget later.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
The previous post was just to show how costly it can get to upgrade to a high powered SPL setup.

Back to the suggestions for subwoofer you mentioned:

ALPINE SWR-1542D or Sundown SA-12 or SA-15:

I would not recommend any 12" subwoofers since placing enough of them would be costly.

The Alpine will provide rather good sound quality but has a problem: low sensitivity 87dB so you would need two of them to match the SPL of a 90dB sub.

The SA-15 is a pure SPL subwoofer dont expect it to sound too great nor bad but loud and can use not too big enclosure sizes. I think It makes sense for SPL purposes. (should choose dual 4 ohm coils version)

For an amplifier I would recommend the Audioque AQ1200D it is also aimed at SPL systems it is class D plus 1 ohm stable and a reliable device. It has the nominal output power of 1200W RMS (1 ohm) I expect is needed.

269 + 2*170 = $609 Not bad!! but you will need to pay for the enclosure as well.

There are of course many more options. I recommend reviewing, discussing and hearing as much as possible alternatives before buying.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14402
Unless you plan to compete in sanctioned events for SPL, I have no idea why you'd want an SPL system to be honest, but if you insist on one, also consider some extensive work in sound deadening the cabin of your vehicle. efficiency is a big part of increasing SPL, and the more energy you exert resonating sheet metal, and being heard outside your car, the less energy you keep in the cabin, where you'll be, or your measuring mic will be, and sound = energy.

Post Number: 7
well im looking for loud system but i still want decent sound quality

its not that im looking for a spl setup i want sopund quality as well but i want to be loud. but cant realy afford highier end subs that will be loud and also be sq based

(if anything i say comes out sounding dumb its because im new to this side of car audio an just looking to learn)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Chevyboy91, only cheap worthless no name components will sound like garbage, dont get the idea that SPL systems are bad sounding at all. And certainly not those components I suggested.

Unless would never consider listening .mp3 formatted music in your car I think you dont need to spend so much more.

Also factor in that proper installation can make such a difference in car audio performance that even the top equipment available for any money can be made to sound like cheap junk.

Post Number: 8
thanks for all the input joe. i think ive decided....depending if i can get this AQ2200d ill go for the 15's
if not theres a sa1500d refurbed for 280

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I guess you mean the older sundown SAZ-1500D V1.0 well that one is seriously underrated &1 ohm stable, just a few things to consider:

1) that price seems incredibly low (new is $799) so watch out that your source is reliable and that is manufacturer refurbished. Anyways you may experience reliability issues overtime.
2) the SAs are 600W RMS each, say you can pump 800 to each, possibly so, but that amp will get above1600 for sure.
3) No way your stock electrical system will hold. You will either need to keep your gains low or upgrade alternator and battery.

Me, I would go for a new amp but if you are that serious about SPL I guess it makes sense.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14406
yeah you don't want an SPL system then. SPL system implies you'll be competing strictly based on volume. People seem to assume that saying you want a SQ system means it won't be loud, which is just utterly untrue. To have a good sound quality system, you need plenty of reserve power anyway, which automatically gives you the potential for a whole lot of output. I guess I just get tired of people seeing SPL and SQ at opposite ends of a see-saw, and thinking you have to somehow specify that a SQ needs to be loud as if ever spending four or more figures on a stereo would mean it wasn't going to be loud anyway.. haha

Post Number: 9
yeah joe, im planning on getting the system together and keeping the gains low untill i can afford the new alt and battery.....

and im getting the audioque 2200d.

like i said before this is all a learning experience, an im using it to put my skills to the test for my first decent system.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14408
set the amplifier gains properly, and just keep the volume knob low instead.
the gain is strictly there to balance the amp's input stage with the line voltage. it's not a volume or power output control.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks glass, all great input from both of you and greatly appreciated

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14412
I should clarify, the reason to set your gain properly is because mis-setting it will either over-drive the input stage of the amp and cause the amp to clip, or it will reduce your signal to noise ratio, and increase your THD.
Neither one is helpful.

Keeping the volume below the point of audible distortion is a perfectly fine way to avoid damage to the speakers. Besides, you can usually use an amplifier rated for more power RMS than the speakers' continuous power handling, and not do any harm. I'm going to write a thing on the reasons why, so I can just link to it shortly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Limiting the gain on a strong signal is whats intended, not the opposite, anyways the stock electrical system is the weakest link not the speakers as I believe those could take 1600W RMS, the alternator is supposed to deliver 100A max, as a safeguard I would suggest to replace the inline fuse to a lower value until a proper alternator is replaced.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
should i immedietly upgrade alternators or would a second battery do the trick for now? plus the big 3 upgrade?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
It will get pretty loud before you need any electrical system upgrades, my suggestion would be to change fuse ratings to a lower value so that those get blown before any damage occurs, then limit the input gain on the amplifier or lower the subwoofer level control on the HU.

Now, if you want to start upgrading the electrical system right away I would start with a proper alternator and of course to get that to work you will need to upgrade the cables connected to it.

But if I were you I would be thinking also about the subwoofers enclosure, it must be custom designed preferably by someone who had worked with SAs before. Installation is hard to get right as can leave you with a bad sounding system, lower efficiency, potential system damage (which you can get for improper ventilation of the amp or improper port tuning or enclosure size) , bad aesthetics or taking up space you may need for other purposes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
yeah im looking to have someone design the enclosure for me now. not sure on the cft at the moment but im going to have it tuned at 34hz.
soon as i find someone who can design it for me ill begin building it while i wait for my subs to come in

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
There are designers and builders posting on the subwoofers section, you may want to pm them or post for advice or a quote. I could run your subs ts parameters on winisd but I rather not to since more experienced people can provide better advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us